Car Carrier - Lonestar kit (Not assembled no longer available vehicle)

Here is a sample of a car carrier I'm working on. I wanted to wait till I was done to post but since there was a discussion on this before I figured I would post it now. I've got a lot to do to the truck before it is done but so far I'm happy with the way it is looking. I no next time I'll not paint the rack part that the cars drive on. I think this is my entire car collection on the truck. I really need to get more non-truck vehicles. :D
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

A close-up of the detail hydraulics I'm adding now.
photo3.jpg

Here is the cab only. I don't have the inside or detail parts like fuel tank on yet.
cabOnly.jpg

The tractor is an Athearn dump truck that I had to extend the frame on as well as the drive train for the rear carrier to fit.
photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

A shot before painting
photo5.jpg

I would like to hear comments.

Dave

Sawdust

Very nice Dave. That's the best looking car carrier I have seen yet! The colors look nice too. The hydraulics add a nice touch. A Company name on the truck door would look good.:twisted:

Last time i looked the etching was still available from truck Stop Models.

FWIW I read on some of the 1-87 truck forums that someone is to re-introduce the old Walthers kit.

Wayne Crews wrote in Bigrigtrucks87
Good news for you and all others. The Walthers Auto carrier trailers will soon be available again. I guess someone bought the molds or has contracted a run of them as kits. Fortunately it will be trailer and truck rack only with no cab and chassis. This info is from the guy that a few people say knows nothing of our hobby, but I know he knows more than most about what the future holds for our models and trucks.

That's all i have; but I trust the source.

That sounds like great news about the Walthers Auto carriers. I hope someone post info about it when they see it for sale. If I do I'll be sure to let all know.
Dave

Another source fora number of transporter kits

http://www.decalprint.de/

There are a number of closed and open alternatives. They require parts from a Herpa transporter (at least for the open ones) also an alternative cab. The Promotex Commander looks about the best choice, but even this is a bit high. I haven't looked at doing it with a conventional cab yet. Top picture is an auto transporter, bottom is for trucks.

BTW this is the guy who produced the Lonestar. He also seems to be working on a Silverado

Attachments

• decal de twin axle.jpg
    decal de twin axle.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 19
  • decal de truck transporter.jpg
    decal de truck transporter.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 83

Bill Nelson

Fine work!

This is fine work, Well away from my normal area of interest, but it really shows off the vehicles being transported, and is a complex scene on wheels, that will help establish the reality of the model world where ever it is parked.

It really helps to have stuff that is as well or better detailed than the trains to expand the reality zone away from the rails.

Bill Nelson