Canyon Mtn N-gineers Layout

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
I decided to begin another thread about the Canyon Mtn N-gineers' Layout. Other threads (see below) have talked about certain aspects of the layout, but I think it will be better to have all the updates and pictures in one thread. I also have a website, but it is too difficult to navigate the host site's webspace, to tolerate the annoying pop-ups, and to find the necessary time to complete updates that I think I'll just post new information here... hense this thread.

An old thread showing early work on the layout:

We also took time away from the main layout project to put on the Great Eastern Oregon Train Fair over the Labor Day weekend in 2004.

Now that the work on the Dairy Queen (ONW) layout is largely completed, work resumes on the Canyon Mtn N-gineers' layout in Canyon City, Oregon. Photos of the more recent activities.

This is looking west from the Pendleton, Oregon, section of the layout.

Attachments

• mvc-263s.jpg
    mvc-263s.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,051

upguy

This is mainly Union Pacific country, but the Burlington Northern does maintain a small depot and switches some industries in Pendleton.

Attachments

• mvc-267s.jpg
    mvc-267s.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,036

upguy

This is going to be a large grain elevator located just to the west of the Umatilla River and Pendleton. This was pieced together using a Micro Engineering building and a Walther's paper mill building.

Attachments

• mvc-269s.jpg
    mvc-269s.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,028

upguy

This is UP engine #910 working the grain elevator.

Attachments

• mvc-270s.jpg
    mvc-270s.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,019

upguy

This is going to be the site of Hinkle, Oregon. Hinkle is a large sorting yard on the Union Pacific which utilizes a hump yard.

The hump yard may be a little difficult to model because it requires so much room, but we decided that even if it were to be on a reduced scale we had to do something....

Attachments

• mvc-272s.jpg
    mvc-272s.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,017

upguy

Here is one of the first trains to be experimented with on the hump. It doesn't work as well as we would like, but it sure looks nice!

Attachments

• mvc-278s.jpg
    mvc-278s.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,018

upguy

Here is a link to a track plan that will give some idea as to the proposed layout. There may be slight variations between the plan and way the layout actually gets built.

Lower Level Plan

upguy

Here is a look at Hinkle from a picture that I took today.

Attachments

• mvc-287s.jpg
    mvc-287s.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 960

upguy

The hump yard lead track is located behind the Hinkle engine shop.

Attachments

• mvc-294s.jpg
    mvc-294s.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 946

upguy

Here is a photo of a couple of cars dropping offf the hump and into the classifying tracks.

Attachments

• mvc-292s.jpg
    mvc-292s.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 950

upguy

Another shot of the hump, yard, and engine shop.

Attachments

• mvc-299s.jpg
    mvc-299s.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 939

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Iknow you mentioned something about the hump yard before upguy, It sure looks good so hope it works the way you want.
Interesting track work around Hinkle

SD90

Nice work on the hump yard! I was thinking of doing one on my layout, but I didn't know if it would work or not, keep the pictures coming!:)

SD90

BTW, did you scratch build that huge grain elevator? It looks incredible! More pictures of that please!

upguy

Work has started on one of the peninsulas that will support track on both the upper and lower levels. The location for the peninsula was first measured out and drawn on the floor (outline actually painted on the floor). Then the basic shape was cut from pieces of particle board.

Attachments

• mvc-337s.jpg
    mvc-337s.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 401

upguy

After the peninsula's shape was positioned, the placement for a connecting track between the levels was drawn and then painted prior to cutting using a cookie cutting method.

Attachments

• mvc-339s.jpg
    mvc-339s.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 399

upguy

The supporting framework for the lower level was assembled on top of the particle board while it was still on the floor and then put in place prior to attaching the legs.

Attachments

• mvc-346s.jpg
    mvc-346s.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 389

upguy

Here is a different angle of the hump yard at Hinkle. Sorry the pictures are not the greatest, but at least they convey the idea.

Attachments

• mvc-344s.jpg
    mvc-344s.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 387