caboose, three generations

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I was going through some old storage, and found an older friend. Thought I'd share this with all of you.
The model at the top was built in May/June of 1960 from a Ralph Brown article in the May 1960 Model railroader. Having very little capital at that time, I built the model with handscribed balsa, and hand cut balsa strips. over the years the cupola was destroyed, but I keep the model as a reminder of the beginning.

The center model was built in 1968, with Northeastern scale lumber. It road proudly behind the 2-4-4-2 I got from Gem.

The model on the bottom was built in 1998, from Evergreen styrene, and is actually 1of 2 built at the same time.

I don't know about you, but I think I made more progress in the first 8 years than in the next 30.
Pete.

Attachments

• crummies.jpg
    crummies.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 83

Tyson Rayles

Considering the materials and the skill level as you progressed it looks like you got 3 winners there to me. :D I think I like the first one the best because it had to be the hardest if you figure with what you were using and how new you were to this at that time.

Pete,
All of them look terrific! When you built the first one it was at the time I first got heavily into model RR'ing and I certainly couldn't have built anything like as good a model as that 1st one of yours. Don't ever part with it. It amazes me what you have done with balsa wood and patience. If I'd built something like that I'd be mighty proud. And such a delightful prototype to model!!
Congratulations.

Errol