Building my new layout

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi folks - I have been thinking for some time about ripping out my old partially finished layout and starting over. The main problem was the turnouts I used in the yard ladder - Peco Settrack, which were too tight for the BLI switcher, or gons and flatcars. :(

This was also a chance to create a new, hopefully better, track plan and I've been messing around for the better part of a year, with folded dogbones, P2P, new benchwork, fitting it on the existing benchwork, etc. etc.

Givens:
Area: 12' x 18'

Druthers:
Large city, countryside scene with farm and river, industrial waterfront scene.

Operations: a yard (based on Toronto's Parkdale Yard), some industrial switching, interchange traffic, continuous run.

I finally have a track plan that includes all of the above, and is a combination of some existing benchwork and some new.

trackplan.png

Here's the start of construction:

P1010108.JPG

Things are getting MESSY!!

P1010110.JPG

The peninsula takes shape.

P1010111.JPG

That's it for now! Stay tuned. :D

Val

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Val:wave:, i REALLY like your plan!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: looks like your off to a GREAT start;). BTW, i think the clouds in your backdrop look AWESOME!:thumb: :D -Deano

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Spitfire, that is a really nice, professional looking drawing, as good as those in the magazines. What did you use to draw it?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Deano! If you're talking about the grey clouds I have to tell you that they were hell to paint! I have so many layers of paint on there that I think I could remove the wall and it would still stand up!! :D :D

Torpedo, thanks, I used Adobe Illustrator. I'm a professional graphic artist and use it for package design, logo's etc etc. You could call it "cheating"...hehehe.

Val

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm glad to see that you've finally got this project of the drawing board, Val. I look forward to seeing your progress, too, as your previous layout, despite the shortcomings that you've listed, was very impressive. Nice work!:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
spitfire said:
Torpedo, thanks, I used Adobe Illustrator. I'm a professional graphic artist and use it for package design, logo's etc etc. You could call it "cheating"...hehehe.

Val

Nope, doing quality work using professional tools is anything but cheating to me. :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW Val, that is looking GREAT. Don't worry about the mess lol, we all have them sometime or another sign1 And that track plan looks AWSOME and should be a blast to opperate!!

I got a question for ya, what program did you use to make that SWEET track plan?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Val,

Looks really good! I'd like to suggest you might want to extend your yard lead around the corner, and access the Massey/Inglis plant from there, rather than come off the main, and have a service lead off the CN main for reaching the wharf. Doing that will let you work those industries without fouling the main.

Also, you might consider changing the first stub yard track north of the main to a double-ended track, for lifts and set-offs.

Otherwise, very nice balance of scenery/railroad.
I'm looking forward to watching your progress. :thumb:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Val, thank you for starting this thread. I saw the pictures of your "old" layout on your website and was very impressed. I am really looking forward to seeing your progress.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks everyone! :)

Squidbait, your suggestions are good, but I have a couple of reasons for doing it the "wrong" way. I've been corresponding with a fellow who used to work at Parkdale Yard and he said they actually had to assemble trains on the mainline. In a way, I've built "fouling the main" into, rather than out of the plan, because I think it can make for more interesting operations. Also, by running the Massey Lead (actually part of a job called The Circle) off the main, it allows for a second operator.
In real life, the Wharf Lead crossed 6 tracks of mainline, and those diamonds were pretty cool. I'm only crossing one mainline track (which is not nearly as cool) but that's all I could manage.

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Val. Looks neat to me.
Which Parkdale yard are you talking about? I remember a number of them in time I was GOing into the city -- there was an intermodal yard that I saw them install and remove (just west of Strachan.) I think there was one near Queen St. that was pretty well gone when I started. There used to be lots of little yards all the way up to just north of St Clair.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Val, if that's the way they done it, then that's the way you should do it!

Although, Parkdale's a bit of a distance from Queen's Quay... I know you've got to selectively compress, but wow!

jawdrop ;)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
60103 said:
If that's compression, I think the lower right corner is Baden or New Hamburg. :D

That's hilarious!! It IS New Hamburg and that is the Nith River!!! (edit: just wanted to mention that my mom grew up in New Hamburg and I have lots of happy memories of visiting there as a kid).

By the way, the intermodal part you're talking about is the upper yard. I am modelling the lower yard where all the action was. :D

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
A little more progress

Finished a little more of the benchwork today. Unfortunately, the pieces of the backdrop separated, and I had to use drywall tape. Now I will have to repaint the backdrop and the clouds.

This is where the yard will go - it's 24" deep.

P1010123.JPG

The open section in the middle is for an underpass. The city section is 36" deep. I know that will make for a bit of a reach, but I need the room for all my buildings.

P1010122.JPG

More drywall taping.

P1010121.JPG

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Squidbait said:
Val, if that's the way they done it, then that's the way you should do it!

Although, Parkdale's a bit of a distance from Queen's Quay... I know you've got to selectively compress, but wow!

jawdrop ;)

Hey, if you think that's bad, just wait until you hear that Queen's Quay and the Keating Channel are side by side!!!

sign1 sign1 sign1

(sorry, that's a Toronto joke)

Val