Buck Rogers (MK-I) Blaster (rebuild)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello again, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls (and all assorted creatures, human and not),

As most of you know, when I moved back to the US, I was unable to bring my model collection with me, and now I must go through and rebuild everything. Granted, that seems quite sad and upsetting to most. However, there is a bright side to it all. In rebuilding my collection, I get to add all of the details, greebles and modifications that I wanted to originally (thought of), but did not (as well as make any corrections to mistakes that I may have made and did not catch initially).

Which brings me to this thread now. I am rebuilding the Buck Rogers (MK-I) Blaster created by @Revell-Fan (my original build thread can be found here:
Buck Rogers Blaster MK-I "Buck's Blaster"). This template is available in the RESOURCE SECTION. This time, I have decided to make the front beam emitter (muzzle) from "clear" plastic. I am also going to add the extended piece that @Revell-Fan created for it (for those of us (like me) with larger hands)

Buck Rogers Blaster (Ver. I).png

buck-gun1-2.png

Starting with the muzzle & barrel.
Muzzle & Barrel.png

Here are the parts for the muzzle & barrel.
20201226_064336.jpg

I used thick clear plastic for the muzzle.
20201226_095958.jpg

The muzzle is assembled with the beam emitter inside.
20201226_205851.jpg

I am sorry that I did not take a photo of the emitter itself, however, I laminated the main disc of the emitter to about 1mm, the orange ring to 1mm and the center yellow circle to 2mm.
20201226_205907.jpg

Here is the barrel.
20201226_223120.jpg

I had laminated the base for the muzzle to 2mm and beveled the edge for it to slide inside the barrel so that the muzzle could be mounted flush on it.
20201226_223130.jpg

I used strips to attach the parts together.
20201226_223143.jpg

Here is the barrel assemebly
20201226_231449.jpg

The muzzle & barrel are complete.
20201227_084548.jpg

There is more to come! So please say tune to your local Earth Directorate broadcasting channels for more updates.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Here is an update! I am now moving on to the front stock of the blaster.
front part of the stack of the weapon.png

Here are the parts.
20201227_135838.jpg

With this component, I wrapped aluminium foil around the "stripe" (to make it "shiny") and then attached it.
20201227_200314.jpg

20201227_200325.jpg

20201227_204149.jpg

20201227_204218.jpg

20201228_202920.jpg

20201228_202954.jpg

The front of the stock is assembled.
20201228_203636.jpg

20201228_203649.jpg

I have the barrel.
20201228_213305.jpg

20201228_213316.jpg

Please say tune to your local Earth Directorate broadcasting channels for more updates.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Thank you sir!!!
Since you are going to be watching Buck Rogers again, You might be interested in this thread: Detailed Thunder Fighter Project.
Oh yeah! At some point I want to do the Thunder Fighters, and the Hawk Fighter. When I was a kid I tried building my own ships from Buck Rogers and BSG but they didn't turn out too well. They pretty much consisted of rolled up tubes of paper with primitive wings attached. I also tried a few Star Trek-type ships but they didn't turn out too well either. I think the best paper model I built when I was a kid was my Mars Rocket idea. In essence, it was a scaled up Saturn V rocket.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Here is an update! I am now working on the rear stock and handle.
Rear stock of weapon and handle.png

Here is the rear part of the stock (I am also including the spacer).
20201228_213419.jpg

The spacer is complete.
20201229_113106.jpg

20201229_113217.jpg

The rear stock.
20201230_111256.jpg

20201230_111309.jpg

I attached the spacer and rear stock.
20201230_120207.jpg

20201230_120225.jpg

Here are the parts for the handle.
20201230_121513.jpg

I laminated the formers for the handle to about 4 mm.
20210102_082544.jpg

The handle is complete.
20210102_085046.jpg

20210102_085100.jpg

20210102_085119.jpg

The handle is attached.
20210102_094216.jpg

20210102_094240.jpg

Please say tune to your local Earth Directorate broadcasting channels for more updates.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Nice work! What's going to be your next project?
THANK YOU SIR!!!
I am not really certain what my next project will be, once I finish this one. I know that @Revell-Fan has a few things in the works for me to beta test build. However, they are not ready at this time. With that being said, I have thought about making the Buck Rogers Movie Poster Blaster. I also have a few other ideas as well that I am rolling around in my mind (I am still thinking about it though). :bulgeeye: :hammerhead:

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Cool! Can you talk about what he wants you to beta build? Sounds exciting. Have you thought about designing any Buck Rogers stuff or BSG stuff?

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Cool! Can you talk about what he wants you to beta build? Sounds exciting. Have you thought about designing any Buck Rogers stuff or BSG stuff?
Actually, @Revell-Fan has designed quite a bit of BSG and Buck Rogers related models. You can find many of them in the RESOURCE SECTION (under SCI-FI). Not only that, but you can find BSG model here: https://stevespaper.com/ and the Buck Rogers models here: http://www.paperaviation.de/
As for me designing anything, I am not a designer. I am just a beta test builder.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
The Thunderfighters and Hawk fighter are on my to-do list. I would have liked to of seen a crossover of both shows. Conceivably they could have taken place in the same universe.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
The Thunderfighters and Hawk fighter are on my to-do list. I would have liked to of seen a crossover of both shows. Conceivably they could have taken place in the same universe.
That would have been a very interesting crossover.
@Revell-Fan has also made both the BSG Landram and Buck Rogers (and Draconian) Land Rovers. These were fun projects!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice work! What's going to be your next project?
It will be something involving an axe and a hidden forklift. ;)

The Thunderfighters and Hawk fighter are on my to-do list.
Be careful. When you build one you wanna make another. And another. And another... ;)

I would have liked to of seen a crossover of both shows. Conceivably they could have taken place in the same universe.
Yes. That would explain the similarities, from the look of the visual effects to the used sound effects. Of course the heavy re-use of props, models and set pieces was done to save money and the similarities were not meant to be related to each other in the first place. However, if you think about it and take what was shown on the screen for "real", these shows indeed take place in the same universe. This, to be honest, made me a fan of Buck. I was and am a die-hard BSG fan, Buck was the natural progression to me. If you look at all the whodunnit shows of the 80s you will find a long history of UNIVERSAL IP crossovers: Simon & Simon visited Magnum, Magnum visited Jessica Fletcher. So we have three shows which started independently from each other but which share the same TV universe. Nowadays we have the whole DC shows and the shared "Magnum P. I." / "Hawaii 5-0" universe and all of the CSI shows. Things are easy to identify and combine when the shows have the same showrunner or producer / creator. Even "Doctor Who" and "Sherlock" are officially related; in one episode of "Sherlock" you see a letter from "Torchwood" > Dang, what was intended as an easter egg created a shared universe instantly. :)

If all of that makes sense is debatable (of course its main purpose is to make viewers of one show watch another), however, it can be a lot of fun if you are already a fan of both shows. It increases the playground.

I have written a complete virtual season of TOS BSG which I'm posting here at Zealot. There are 24 episodes in total, the missing eps will be added once they are ready. I have some ideas for two additional but shorter seasons, including the Colonial Fleet finding Earth. This Earth could be the Earth of Buck which would "officially" make the two one shared universe. In the 1990s I came up with a crossover of my favourite TV shows at that time which were "BSG", "Knight Rider" and "Columbo". My plan is to combine several elements into the final virtual season to create one big Universal action scifi universe. "Knight Rider" in particular is a natural progression of BSG because of KITT's scanning technology and the sound effects, "A-Team" has a great cameo of the Cylon Centurion which can be expanded upon, and "Airwolf" shares many design elements of KITT (because both were heavily influenced by Andy Probert, the creator of the Cylon Centurions).

My theory is this:

The TNS Colonial Fleet arrived on Earth 150.000 years ago. They give up their tech and mix with the first humans on Earth, creating the human race as we know today.
Tens of thousands of years later the Colonials from TOS Kobol arrive on Earth. They find the primitive people on Earth and are treated as Gods from the stars. The Colonials like that and use their advanced technology to make wonders and build pyramids. By doing so they violate a treaty they had made with the beings of light. The beings of light once agreed to help and guide them on their journey to the stars but now they see that history is repeating itself and that mankind is falling prey to gluttony and greed again. They get very angry and make tabula rasa: They erase all memory on the Colonial's past and take away all modern technology on the planet, mankind has to start all over again. This is why we now do not know anything about our celestial heritage any longer today.
In 1969 Armstrong and Aldrin discover the remnants of the ancient tech the Colonials used, including the Viper which has fallen out of Galactica's hangar bay during her final jump 150.000 years ago. This is the reason of the communication break. The components are secretly brought to Earth and reverse-engineerd in Area 51 which lead to great breakthroughs in technology and to the development of new propulsion systems which in effect sound and look like Galactican tech.
In 1987 radical groups cause a holocaust which nearly entirely kills the human race, mankind is saved once again by the beings of light which had kept a "guardian" on Earth (in the form of a so-called Crystalite in a scret chamber below the Sphinx). They show mercy and think mankind has suffered enough and "enlight" certain people who use the Colonial tech to pave the way to interstellar space travel and the creation of stargates.
In 2592 Buck Rogers returns to Earth, and ten years or so later the TOS Colonial Fleet arrives.

:)

Last edited: