Branchline operation

MOPHEAD

Hello everyone;

I have a couple of questions about how to operate a branchline.

Do branchlines run on a schedule?

Do you use car cards?

The layouts I've seen branchline operations is just do what you want as long as you don't foul the main.

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

MOPHEAD

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Are you asking how they run prototypically, or how they run at a club, or something else?

As far as my club is concerned, we subscribe pretty much to your observation above... ;) We run under dispatch control (double-main territory) until we are on the branch (single main) at which point it is up to you not to run into anyone else ;) :D

Andrew

nkp174

Branchlines would have had schedules back in the days of timetables. They would have to fulfill the daily mail contracts/passenger schedule so you could count on, at the very least, a 1 car.

If the branchline is served by locals, then it would follow the locals schedule...this was around midnight in my hometown while growing up along the CH&D (CSX's Cincinnati to Detroit).

brakie

Hello everyone;

I have a couple of questions about how to operate a branchline.

Do branchlines run on a schedule?

Do you use car cards?

The layouts I've seen branchline operations is just do what you want as long as you don't foul the main.

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

MOPHEAD

1.Depends on the customers needs.Some branch lines seen daily except Sunday service while other may see 2 or 3 times aweek service.Some may see once or twice aweek service.

2.The use of car cards/waybills is a modelers choice..I use 'em.

Actually the operation of a branch doesn't interfer with main line operations unless the branch line local is wanting to enter the main for the return trip to the yard.

Pooh Bah
A branchline's schedule or not would depend on a number of conditions.
--whether there is passenger service. The passenger trains would be scheduled at least.
--how many trains on the branch. Only one train at a time might not need a schedule. More than one and they would need at least train orders.
--if the branch was fully independent or if the trains had to integrate with the main line.
--amount of traffic. (casual/formal) Would the train crew wait while a car was loaded or leave it behind for another trip?

brakie

A branchline's schedule or not would depend on a number of conditions.
--whether there is passenger service. The passenger trains would be scheduled at least.
--how many trains on the branch. Only one train at a time might not need a schedule. More than one and they would need at least train orders.
--if the branch was fully independent or if the trains had to integrate with the main line.
--amount of traffic. (casual/formal) Would the train crew wait while a car was loaded or leave it behind for another trip?

David,The "passenger" train schedule could be annulled especially mixed trains if there was no riders,no LCL/Express freight or mail contract.

As far as waiting for a car to be loaded..I doubt it..After all they had other work to do..They *might* pick the car up on the return trip.