Bentley 4.5L Blower in 1-20 scale

ennder

I recently finished a few other projects and had purchased the Bentley 4.5 L Blower, 1913 Ford T type truck, and the Mercer Runabout from TK PaperCraft.
I have decided to build the Bentley first. It is a very detailed model.... I hope that I can do it justice.

Following the instructions, (the photos... I cannot read Japanese) I have the base frame done. The instructions jump to the engine next. I haven't
decided if I'm going to do the engine next or to finish out the frame.

Anyway, here is what I have done so far
20210124_144031.jpg20210124_144051.jpg20210124_144103.jpg20210124_144143.jpg20210124_144155.jpg20210124_144202.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
This was the first plastic car model I built when I was in the single digits. I really loved that car. One was completely rebuilt from scratch and when the person stepped off of it, stepping on the lid of tool box, it cracked in the same corner, as the original, it had the same square tool box that had a lid with radii corners, which caused the top corner tocrack. Great start, this should be a great looking model!!

I'd do the engine, so you can make sure it fits in the frame, which would be easier to adjust. :)

Bentley Blower.jpg

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Looks good so far! I recently purchased all of these models too. I'm looking forward to building them and was greatly impressed by the details.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
This was the first plastic car model I built when I was in the single digits. I really loved that car. One was completely rebuilt from scratch and when the person stepped off of it, stepping on the lid of tool box, it cracked in the same corner, as the original, it had the same square tool box that had a lid with radii corners, which caused the top corner tocrack. Great start, this should be a great looking model!!

I'd do the engine, so you can make sure it fits in the frame, which would be easier to adjust. :)

View attachment 191194
Do you still have the model? These cars are from an age of craftsmanship, design, and inventiveness were unlikely to ever see again.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
nice start looking forward to see the rest of this building project.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Do you still have the model? These cars are from an age of craftsmanship, design, and inventiveness were unlikely to ever see again.

No, that was 50 years ago, I believe they were Airfix models, and Lindberg. I built that model from 4 different plastic car companies. I got to see it at Dragone in Bridgeport, they were repairing, the had just finished restoring a Bugatti "Atlantique". Only 3 of these cars exist. The owner always let's me go in and talk with the restorer's of their cars. They had a 1917 "Silver Ghost" there. It was so perfect, it looked like a full size model car. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
If that frame is any indication, this should be a great model of a great car! :)

ennder

No, that was 50 years ago, I believe they were Airfix models, and Lindberg. I built that model from 4 different plastic car companies. I got to see it at Dragone in Bridgeport, they were repairing, the had just finished restoring a Bugatti "Atlantique". Only 3 of these cars exist. The owner always let's me go in and talk with the restorer's of their cars. They had a 1917 "Silver Ghost" there. It was so perfect, it looked like a full size model car. :)

TK just listed a 1908 "Silver Ghost" about a week ago.

ennder

I got more done on the engine.... but no photos yet
I do have to say that I am having a blast building this car.... so far.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I would have painted that engine with Chrome and Brass paints. If you look at the pictures of the real car, it just would have taken the model over the top. The engine did come out good, make sure you touch up any white seams!! :)

1930-bentley-4-%BD-litre-blower-10.jpg

B Blower.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I usually spray the component down with a matte finish regular paint, very lightly, to seal it, then use which ever color I am going to use, but apply some thinner, so it doesn't look to thick, try that out on some scrap paper, and go from there. I'd study the pictures, and try and get some of the wiring and maybe even the clamps down. Some of those clamps you can make with Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, it will look really nice. or not. Copper Wire could be used for Brass tubing. You could just build it as it came, and you would still have a fantastic model. ;)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
What kind of Chrome and Brass paints do you use?
Both AV Vallejo and The Army Painter have very complete metallic ranges in an acrylic paint. The Army Painter line has more pigment in the paint, but the Vallejo line has finer pigments. I switch back and forth between the too brands. I have even found that these two brands are compatible enough to intermix the two when wet with no adverse reactions in the mediums.