Beaver Creek & Tyler Mountain - Advice needed

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Beaver Creek & Tyler Mountain track plan. It was originally in MR in 1982, and reprinted in one of Kalmbach's HO basics books (name escapes me right now).

Anyway, does anyone have any comments or advice on this plan, or seen it built, etc?

Any info is appreciated. THanks!

Andrew

Bob Collins

I have the MR, 101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders here in front of me and the name does not appear in this book and I'm not old enough to have a copy of the MR from 1982! What size are we talking about?

Bob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
It's a 4x8. It has one full loop, with the "west" end doubled, plus a two passing tracks, each with a few spurs.

I was just wondering if anyone had built/seen/read about it, and had any advice/warnings/recommendations for me.

I have pretty much committed to this plan, having purchased the track and turnouts, but modifications are always possible.

Thanks again.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The Book

It's in "The Practical Guide to HO Model Railroading" from Model Railroader. The TM&BC (that's right - I messed up the name - it's the Tyler Mountain & Beaver Creek) originally appeared in MR in Nov 1982.

Anyone with knowledge of this layout, please post your comments or observations.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The Plan

I have finally taken the time to draw the track plan (or my version of it)! Please let me know what you think.

Overall, it is about 4x8. There will be a twon in the upper right, and an engine facility in the lower left. I was thinking about a coal dealer for the spur in the middle of the layout.

I am going to set the layout in the 1920s and 30s, so relatively small steam power still predominates (besides, a 4-8-8-4 just wouldn't handle those tight curves very well...)

Any comments would be appreciated.

Andrew

TR-Flyer

Hi MJ:
It might be nice to be able to work the small yard at the center bottom without having to pull an engine/consist back onto the main line. Also, are you running clockwise or counter? All your sidings are set up the same way. If you’re running mostly clockwise then all your sidings are set up so the engine can pull in first. If counter, then it will have to pass the siding and back the cars into position. Might want to vary that depending upon the type of operation you expect to have at each siding. Is the layout a walk around or against the wall? What’s the topography?

Regards,
Ted

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Updated Plan

Thanks for your feedback. Here's a bit more info:

Michael - While I have constructed the layout using Atlas snap track (code 100), several spots required some "adjustment" with the old Dremel tool to make everything fit just right.

Ted - I don't know if I'll run clockwise or counter - some days I think one way, other days I think the other...:). Maybe the five-fingered crane will switch the locos around every once in a while just to keep it interesting.

I know that I'll have to "foul the main" to switch the sidings, but I can't really cram any more track in, although I could rearrange what I have. Any thoughts?

The town and "north" side and town (including the station and siding behind the merchants will be elevated about 1" to 1.5".

This is all contained on a 4x8 sheet of plywood using the cookie cutter method of construction. I have it in the middle of the basement right now so I can get around the whole thing.

I intend to have the controls in the southeast corner eventually. The thought is to have remote turnouts around the layout, and throw the yard manually (for now).

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments.

Andrew

Attachments

• bc&tm v1.jpg
    bc&tm v1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 223

TR-Flyer

Is the spur next to the engine house going to be used for a coaling/sanding/water tower operation? If so, you could move the turnout for this off the through siding and onto the spur to the engine house and keep your engine maintenance off the siding.

Love the river running under the bridge immediately outside the tunnel. I can see you posting some nice pictures of this as the engine steams out of the portal. Also like the roadway crossing next to the other end of the river. With a bridge adjacent that will be another nice place to place your head close the the rails and watch the action.

The turnout to the small spur in the upper right is a reverse curve. With larger equipment this might prove operationally tricky. But i think you said you're running early century equipment so this might prove interesting to look at if the scene expalins why the rails are so twisty. Mountain, stream, existing industry, 'ol ma Clampet in her rockin' chair. "Ya ain't a gonna move me frum my porch! Ye kin' runs th' rails around me fer al' i cares!"

Would love to see pics as you go. The guys who are/have done/doing this have provided us with lots of interesting lessons and discussions.

jon-monon

thots

I would flip turnout "1" over to look more like "a", with the curved part of the turnout on the curved part of the mainline, and the straight part on the siding, this will reduce a couple of sharp bends.

Turnout #2 would have a softer, kinder gentler curve off the "right" track if you were to move it back a section or even two.

The funny spots (3) might be abberations of the software and/or would dissappear with the likely use of flextrack. The flextrack software feature is a little tricky at first, but worth the effort to learn. I use a combonation of sectional and flex in my drawins.

Lookin' good! Like the others said a lot of stuff in a small area. I like it!

Attachments

• bc&tm v1.jpg
    bc&tm v1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 242

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

The Right Track software is a little figety (sp?). That is why there are a few strange looking spots. I have actually fitted all the track together and it does work.

I hadn't realized that the turnout in the northeast corner actually makes an "S" curve - that's a good point. I was going to use this corner and the southwest for "main" connections to my (future) empire, so I will rethink it. Will also reconfigure the yard / engine service as necessary.

I appreciate your input! :):):)

Andrew

trafficdesign

I found your post and am very interested in this layout!

Any track plans, photos or comments are welcome... this will be my first 4x8 HO layout and while I love the look of the Tyler Mountain and Beaver Creek RR, I fear that it may be too complicated for a first-timer. Any thoughts????

Many thanks!

Bill Nelson

no reference

If someone has a link to info on that plan I can study it. I have never built to plan, but have been doing this for 46 years and can critique a plan if I can see it.

as to too complex for a beginner, once you start building you are going to be learning quickly, being too complicated for a beginner may be better than spending some time for something simpler, that is too simple for you later on.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/197859.aspx

I did a google search, and the track plan is shown on the above thread on a Model Railroader site. It looks like a good plan to me, anything simpler would be too simple too soon, this plan looks like it will have some scenic opportunities as well as operational opportunities. I'm used to working with much larger railroads, but that looks like a good use of space. the most difficult thing to learn will be bench work construction. How hard that will be will be determined by your carpentry skills. that plan will require open grid, or L girder bench work, with cookie cutter plywood road bed. with some guidance, you will be able to make a fine RR with this plan, and have it keep your interest. I like the plan from what I have seen. I'll follow this thread, and be happy to help with any questions. I'm good with bench work and scenery; have been hand laying track so long I have problems with flextrack.

bill Nelson