Bandai 1/144th TIE Figther and TIE X-1 Advanced

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
New Plastic Project,
The tiny little 1/144th TIE and TIE Advanced
20200119_210704=1.jpg
This kit is so small that the instructions are printed on the inside of the box top,
20200119_210723-1.jpg
The oinly option for the decals is peel and stick,
20200119_210738-1.jpg
4 sprues with the two TIEs
20200119_210833-1.jpg
I will be painting these, so the first step was to wash the sprues, and after drying apply AV Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane Primer in primer grey to the X1 sprues.

micahrogers

Staff member
I coat of primer applied with a brush on the TIE, 2 coats on the TIE Advanced
20200120_195946-1.jpg
maybe get some color base coats on the TIE Advanced tonight, might not...

Last edited:

micahrogers

Staff member
AV Vallejo Game Air 'Wolf Grey' is a nice blue grey for a TIE fighter basecoat.
It came in thier Sci-Fi paints set.
1 coat applied with a 0 paintbrush
20200120_213735-1.jpg
and a second coat,
20200120_214927-1.jpg
Next will be the 'Metallic Black' on the panels...

micahrogers

Staff member
now over night I'm thinking the Wolf Grey is too blue, and not dark enough, I may strip the wolf grey and start again...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't make it too dark; always keep the scale in mind. The smaller the vessel, the lighter it has to be. My first weathering attempts were a bit "too ambitious". I painted one of the tiny mpc Snowspeeders that came wit the AT-AT kits exactly like their mockups. The result looked like a piece of charcol and I did not know why. On my Cylon Raider from Revell I did not use black for the canopy and the markings but anthracite which looked much better, spot-on and on par with the studio model. :)

Last edited:

micahrogers

Staff member
Okay I need honest opinions, which looks better. 'Wolf Grey' on the TIE Advanced, or 'Pale Blue Grey' on the regular TIE. I think the 'Wolf Grey' is too blue.
20200121_211434-1.jpg

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Micah, do not be affraid of the blue, it can be even more blue. Original model was painted blue. It looks grey in the movie because of strong ligthing needed for special efects.

This is original model:
kg_tie_studio_model-007-sized.jpg

For me none of the variant you did is not wrong. Anywhere between blue and grey is right. Depends on your taste.

I do not thing wolf grey is too blue, but looks too light to me(on the photo). I vote for darker wolf grey.:)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I fully agree. With SW models it is a matter of personal preference and taste. This applies to Star Trek models, too. The real prop often had different and stark contrasting colours which were heavily altered during filming and in post production. The classic Enterprise for example was green, the Enterprise D was duck egg blue. Both were desaturated which resulted in the common grey tones which we all remember from the TV screen. So it all comes down to the question: Do you want to recreate the on-screen look or the real-life look? I suppose most will choose the on-screen look since this is how the audience was meant to see the models. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
First let me say they're looking great. As RF said, it's a matter of opinion :) I personally like the grey on the Advanced, sets it apart from the bog-standard TIE fighter :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They look very good! And yes, that is the only downside of this kit. Another double pack with regular TIEs would have been better. Bandai's marketing strategy is: Buy another to complete the formation. I had to buy four kits because I needed four standard TIEs to make a paper model of the Gozanti Cruiser. Granted, the kits are fun and cheap, but now I'm stuck with three Vader TIEs... :violin: