Bandai 1/144th Millennium Falcon from SW, TFA

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Back from the dead, I bought this kit years ago, when it first released in the US. Now, I am going to start it, and try to do it justice, this is gonna be one for the long haul.
Millenium Falcon 001.jpg

This is the kit designed from the CGI files used in TFA, as such, it has a known inaccuracy in the side wall of the left side. I will not be correcting the inaccuracy, but I am going to try and add LEDs, if I can source some cheap enough.

micahrogers

Staff member
Sweet Jesus, a 20 page instruction book...
Milleenium Falcon 002.jpg

And 2 sheets of decals, one peel and stick,
Millenium Falcon 003.jpg

And the other waterslide.
Millenium Falcon 004.jpg

I guess I'll be using the waterslide for what I don't paint.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
This is the thread that I have to watch. the MF is a hell of a nice ship. Have fun with building this one.

micahrogers

Staff member
This is the thread that I have to watch. the MF is a hell of a nice ship. Have fun with building this one.
I hope you enjoy the ride. My ups, and downs as I try to do her justice.

micahrogers

Staff member
Todays update, 11 sprues washed... Man what a pile of parts...Millenium Falcon 005.jpg

I found these color changing LEDs that got 3 years ago, they still work, not to see how to wire them for "white" light... and blue "light"

Anyonw here know about wiring RGB LRDs?

micahrogers

Staff member
Okay, the RGB strip LEDs go back in the bin in favor of these cheap string LEDs, that run on 2 AA batteries.
Millenium Falcon 006.jpg

They are a cool white, and the kit comes with the blue clear for the lighting effect. Plus these are much easier to wire.

micahrogers

Staff member
And let thete be light. Your model would look awesome with the lighting.
Yes, that is one reason I've waited to do this kit. Lighting takes patience, and thinking it thru. That string has 10 LEDs, I figure 6 for the engine, 2 for the gun tubs, 1 for the boarding ramp, and 1 for the cockpit. I'll have to extend the wires for the landing ramp , and the cockpit light.

The first step is the cockpit, and since it will be lit, I'll be drilling many small holes in the back wall, plus adding the light strips... so lots of drilling... Grrr.

but first, the interior grey.
Millenium Falcon 007.jpg

My micro drill set should be here tomorrow, or Tuesday... depending on the post office.

micahrogers

Staff member
A quick update for Sunday.

I got the back of the gun tubs cut out to allow light in...
Millenium Falcon 013.jpg

and have the figures of the sprue and on toothpicks to paint.
Left to right, BB-8, Rey, Han, Finn, and Chewie.
Millenium Falcon 014.jpg

Still thinking on the lighting... Mainly diffusing the light evenly thru the exhaust port.....

micahrogers

Staff member
Getting these tiny people painted... Left to Right...
Rey, Finn,BB-8, Han, and Chewie...
Millenium Falcon 015.jpg

My phone focused on BB-8... Chewie was the easiest to paint, until I got to the bandolier, even my 10/0 was too big for that strap.