Backdrops

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi planeshavings!
What type of backdrop are you wanting? Urban? Rural? Mountains? Praries?

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
The company kettlestack mentioned is the one I use. The stuff is printed on VERY heavy stock which makes in very difficult to get bubbles or wrinkles. I have about 18 ft. of backdrop in N-Scale. I painted the masonite blue then streaked in some white for atmosphere. I then cut out the scenery from the photo backdrop I want then tape it in place. When I'm sure I like it there, then I glue it. I have used products like Instant Horizons but these are drawings and when compared to these photo backdrops leave a lot to be desired IMHO.

Attachments

• backdrop.jpg
    backdrop.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 224

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
I have just purchased 12' of backdrops from Walthers. They are not as pretty as the other company but I would rather spend my money on rolling stock and scenery. And by the time I blend my scenery into the backdrop it should'nt look that bad at all!:eek:

www.backdropwarehouse.com

Thanks for the great suggestion, I have just visited backdropwarehouse, and this is just what I had hoped for...

So many clubbers have been so helpful here at the gauge, I'm thankful to you all, I'm still months away from track layout yet, but with research and so many helpful replies to my many questions, it will be a reality some day soon, Hey I've waited 60 years already what's a few more months right???

Thanks again,
Planeshavings

Originally posted by kettlestack
Visit this company's website Planeshavings. They supply top notch backdrops (from photographs) and have pictures you can peruse. They are not cheap but they are very good.

www.backdropwarehouse.com

Hope this helps

Errol
:cool: :cool:

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Tyson;

Tell me about your row crop there on the right of your picture. Corn? Your tobacco allocation? Just ran across an article the other day about some sort of metal row crop, corn I believe. Looked interesting as I want to have an area of row crops on my layout if I ever get to scenery:D :D

Bob

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
great thread & so great advice for us new guys. only problem is that even though some of those scenes could (almost) be New Zealand at a pinch, the price of US$250 converts to about NZ$1,000,000 and so a bit out of my price range!

and Planeshavings - I certainly would like to agree with your comments on the benefits of being a member of the Gauge. like you, I've waited many many years to get into this hobby and the help given on here is just absolutely priceless. and hell, I'm having so much fun doing the research I may even put off getting my layout together (just kidding...) :D
Bruce

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Bob and Topo it is tobacco, corn is a slender leaf crop. Bob the thread you are thinking of is on Alkem's brass corn rows (also featured in this months MR). A little pricey but real nice. There is a thread in the N/Z forum, around page 5, tittled "Matthryo-tobacco plants" that tells how I made the plants. Thanks for the kind words Topo. Look on page 5 of the N/Z for a thread called Charlie and Viginian for more pictures on this area. Also on page 1 a thread called the Nantahala merges with the great stuff, stryo etc. has a overview of the layout.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I guess I'm the only guy on here doing the urban scene...
I use the Walthers printed buildings...I like them because they're kind of non-descript...they don't draw alot of attention away from the models (which in my case, need all the help they can get :) )
Used in combo with building flats, & shallow relief structures, against a painted blue sky, they add some visual depth to a very shallow scene. (in this case, about 10" from the pile of junk in the foreground to the "sky" in the background.

Attachments

• mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 195

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Bob,
I saw in an MR magizine that a guy used one of those green plastic door mats for a corn field, cant remember what month but I just saw it within the last week or so so if you wish I'll look for it and post a picture.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shane;

I saw the same article and didn't care for the look at all. I have tried to reach this Alkem Scale Models who make the brass corn (page 62-63, June 2002 MR) through their listed website and can't get through to them. I like the looks of their product much better.

I suppose I also ought to mention here to Tyson that coming from Iowa I have a fair understanding of what corn looks like, but sometimes the pictures give you a tainted view. The color of tobacco is much darker and that should have been a clue for me.

Bob

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I saw that too...if it was the one in the latest issue of MR.
It was otherwise a great looking layout, but the cornfield looked a little...well...like a doormat !
Tyson has done spectacular job on his tobacco crop...in fact, that whole farm scene in this thread is one of the best model RR photos I've ever seen!:cool: There are shadows on the hills like clouds are passing over! :cool: :cool:

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Topo;

Muchas Gracias. The website listed in the article in the MR is different that the one you provided. I'll check it out.

One of my question is whether or not it can/should be use for an entire field or just a few rows against a backdrop. Maybe I'll figure it out now that I have the right web address.

Bob

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Bob if you are from Iowa then you know more what corn looks like than me!:D So far I've only seen the Alkem corn used in a few rows against a backdrop, but that might be due to price more than anything else. Charlie I was wondering if anybody was gonna notice the cloud effect in that shot, thanks! And thanks for the kind words.:D I agree with most of the others here, I didn't care for the doormat corn either.