Auto Rack modelers!

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
I have a dilemma... I own one Custom Rail, Tri-level auto rack, and parked next to a Walthers Bi-level (or tri-level), Accurail 89' flat, or Walthers 89' flat, it sits noticeably high. But the thing I don't get is the coupler pocket comes out just about the same.

What I'm getting at, the main question, is the Custom Rail car too high? Is there a prototype, tri-level, or bi-level at the higher height? Or is the matching coupler pocket just compensating for the higher height?

Here's an example, Custom Rail car to the left, Walthers to the right.
autoracks.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh, is there any way you can make the car sit lower/closer to the trucks? i have 3 Walther's UP Autoracks, but i don't have any Custom Rail products, thats the only thing i could come up with to solve your dilemma:smilie:.

the cars in real life might be at different heights, i have seen UP pull MANY Autorack trains:winki: , but i don't recall the cars being different heights:confused: , but just because i cant recall it doesn't mean they arnt:119: .
:deano: -Deano

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Yeah, removal of custom rails "self guiding" coupler swing arm, then trimming of the bolster (which is notched for the swing arm) would lower it, though I think a wee but of sanding might be in order after that.

I'd prefer to keep it that height if it matches a prototype though.

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Josh
Deano is correct when he said prototype cars are different heights. You will see that when cars are made by different manufacturers, you can see the same rack on 2 different flatcars and see small differences in height. As long as your couplers are not mismatched I think the variation in height is quite prototypical.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
**Warning - Complete guess offerred! **

I don't know much about these autoracks - in the era I model, cars were relatively new, and were shipped (like everything else) in boxcars...

However - are the enclosed tri-levels not loaded by driving the vehicles into a long string of autoracks - i.e. the vehicles go through several railcars before they reach "their" spot? If yes, would it not be more likely that the (rail) cars are more or less at the same height?

From a modelling point of view - 2slim said it: As long as the couplers are at the same height, you're operationally good to go.

Andrew

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Yes Andrew, BUT, however, the one on the left is a tri-level, and the right, a bi-level,m so they'd have to be separated to load.

The members of MFCL on yahoo have pointed me in the right direction. The Custom Rail car models a tri-level like the ones below, where as the Walthers models a different version. The Custom Rail car does sit high, for two reasons, the bolsters are too tall, and it rides on 33" wheels where as all tri-level cars ride on 28" wheels (to reduce the height).
http://shastaroute.railfan.net/Photos/Rolling_Stock/Autorack/ETTX_900475_f.jpg
http://shastaroute.railfan.net/Photos/Rolling_Stock/Autorack/ETTX_901856_b.jpg

The ends of my Custom Rail tri-level will be modified to match the prototype, though the prototype's full deck would be a channel, I'm choosing to go with just the ends to get the effect when viewing them.

Custom Rail bi-level's can be mounted on an Accurail flat to get the right height, tri-level's can also be converted to a bi-level by only installing 2 decks, and mounting it on an Accurail car.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Tri level autoracks would have a slightly higher carbody, but the deck of the flat, would be at the same height as any other autorack for the reason explained above, moving autos into the "racks". You can see the deck height difference in the photo.
The correction would require lowering the car, and the truck/bolster would have to be modified, then coupler height corrected. Also, Autoracks typically rode on 28" wheels, vice the standard freight car 33", or tank, and hopper 36".

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Tri-level cars ride on 28" wheels, Bi-level's ride on 33".

Infact, there's not a single Tri-level, straight 89' 4" autorack who's roof line is any higher then a standard 89' 4" bi-level, so, saying that they have slightly higher car body, would be incorrect.

The only rack with higher roof lines would be the Auto-max cars. Not even the Trall articulated cars have a higher roof line.

There's 4 distinct styles of tri-level cars that I've been able to identify now. I'm not counting the Automax cars. They are as follows:
-Walthers Tri-level, notched side sill, 28" wheels:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - ETTX - 701280
-Custom Rail Tri-level's closest match, notched end plate, coupler pocket rides up "on top" of deck:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - ETTX - 802194
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - ETTX - 802325 (thats what mine will become)
-Flush deck at ends, tri-level, unusual side sill:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CNA - 704589
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CNA - 704568
-Smooth side rack, slightly notched end plate, exposed frame side sills:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CPAA - 556003

There's 4 distinct styles of end doors, they are as follows:
-Bi-level single rack notches:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CN - 710705
-Tri-level, dual rack notches:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CNA - 704589
-Solid door, no rack notches:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - ETTX - 711185
-"Slat style":
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CN - 711947

Then there's the Johnstown AVC (Aluminum Vehicle Carrier):
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CNA - 712801
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CNA - 712820

The Trall Articulated:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - BTTX - 880049
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - BTTX - 880141

Automax:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - AOK - 501570 (notice the standard height, bi-level autorack)
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - AOK - 501638

Ex-UP 20-2 Pack (I think Bi-level):
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - ATW - 800255

Bi-level, notched side sills, similar to Walthers Tri-level:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - NS - 171109

And lastly, the standard, flush deck, bi-level car:
RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - CPAA - 543075