Austin Steam Train Association

roryglasgow

I'm on vacation, and my family and I went to Cedar Park to visit the church we attended there and visit some of the local hobby shops. Here are some pictures I took of the coaches of the Austin Steam Train. More info can be found at the Austin Steam Train Association website.

There is a fairly new shopping center located next to the rail yard. Because of the construction, I wasn't able to get any closer.

The coaches are a mix from various sources. This photo shows an Amtrak coach, plus two of the Austin & Texas Central coaches (formerly PRR coaches). I don't know anything about the one on the end.

Attachments

• hcf1.jpg
    hcf1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 89

roryglasgow

Here is an old Santa Fe coach. The SD40-2 in the background is a former Union Pacific engine that now belongs to the Austin Area Terminal Railroad. I think it's brother, #3003, was also sitting in the yard. I don't know why they were there. The steam engine is currently away being overhauled, and I didn't see their RSD-15. Maybe it was out of view...

Attachments

• hcf2.jpg
    hcf2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 84
  • hcf2.jpg
    hcf2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 84

roryglasgow

Here is the Nickel Plate Road "City of Chicago" coach, and another one of the A&TC coaches. A pipe forest is growing in the foreground. So that's where PVC comes from... :)

Attachments

• hcf3.jpg
    hcf3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 82
  • hcf3.jpg
    hcf3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 82

roryglasgow

The ASTA rail yard is located behind a fairly new shopping center called The Rail Yard. Among the many businesses there is a new hobby shop called The Collectible Caboose. The proprietor, Craig Berry, was very nice, and the prices there were reasonable on most items. He offers discounts to repeat customers, too, and free shipping on mail order items that are $150 or more. They sell a little bit of everything that's train- and model train-related (plus scented candles and soaps???). I plan on doing business with them in the future.

Here is a picture of the fake water tower at the front of the shopping center. They also have a steel truss pedestrian bridge along the sidewalk in front of the shopping center (but I didn't get a picture of that).

Attachments

• railyard.jpg
    railyard.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 78
  • railyard.jpg
    railyard.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 75