Atlas 2-6-0 mogul doesn't run well on code 55?

DrBasss

Sep 6, 2005
My Atlas 2-6-0 Northern Pacific mogul does not appear to be running very well on my Atlas code 55 track. It is extremely noisy, sounding as if it is hitting the ties, and pushing the cars (with low profile wheels that I installed) on the track by themselves yields a totally smooth noise free experience. Pushing the engine over the track feels very bumpy as if it is in fact hitting the ties and the larger wheels are definitely taller than my low profile wheeled cars. Is this expected? Are there any engines with smaller profile wheels? It's a bit disappointing as this is the perfect engine for the project my brother and I are working on but we must have a good running train of course. Any insight to this is greatly appreciated!

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Might not be the wheels, but the flanges on the wheels. Though the wheels may be low profile, the flanges still may be to deep for CD55 track. Check the flanges.

DrBasss

Sep 6, 2005
How would you go about fixing this? The flange is what we thought the problem was when we examined the train to see what was going on. We are still somewhat new to all of this.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Grinding or sanding some of the flange down, Not much, .010" might be all thats need.
Hooking up a transformer, and run the loco upside down and with a file, just tuoch up the flange. Good idea to put a piece of masking tape on the chassis to keep the metal filings out of the works.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I looked at one of the locos on the shelf here, and it appears that the drivers have low profile flanges, but the pilot wheels have big flanges. Try removing the pilot truck and running the loco as an 0-6-0. You may just have to replace the pilot wheels to make things better.
Pete

p.s. I went ahead and ran our Atlas 2-6-0 on both Atlas, and Micro Engineering code 55 track, with no problem on either.
PJ

DrBasss

Sep 6, 2005
I haven't had a chance to try anything but for us the problem definitely seemed like it was with the 6 larger wheels. The entire engine is rattling and shaking at times, and you can hear it hitting ties or something on Atlas Code 55 flex track whereas the cars behind it run smooth as silk at all times....

sams

Dec 17, 2004
you'd think atlas would have made their track compatible with their own locomotives hamr (or vice-versa:rolleyes: )

DrBasss

Sep 6, 2005
sams said:
you'd think atlas would have made their track compatible with their own locomotives hamr (or vice-versa:rolleyes: )

That's why I'm so confused. I'll let you guys know as soon as I find anything out.

Voice2

Nov 12, 2005
Uxbridge, MA
When I had the same issue with a couple of my Atlas diesels - I found that the wheels were out of gauge (too narrow, and ever so slightly off). When I adjusted them using an NMRA guage - the issue went away!

I too thought it was the flanges until someone here suggested checking to see if my wheels were in gauge.

Hope this helps!