Athearn Genesis 2-8-2 removal of factory lettering

fwpoppy

Nov 16, 2006
I have just obtained several 2-8-2 makados made by Athearn and want to reletter them with my own road name. What is the best way to remove the factory lettering from the engine and tender?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If the lettering is pad printed ink, alcohol on a cue tip may remove it. Otherwise, you may need to paint over the lettering with a black that matches the Athearn's original color and then put decals over the top after the paint dries.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Yes i am getting ready to paint a NYC steamer and decal her for C&O.

I will use flat black and dull coat the engine to get a fairly good match.

I will mask the drivers and rods and windows.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Gil, if you haven't already applied the black paint, you might want to try removing the existing lettering first. Often, the factory lettering is three-dimensional enough that a "ghost" image of it can been seen through the overcoat of black paint. I had a couple of B&O Mikes that I removed the lettering from using methyl hydrate, a type of alcohol. You can buy it at any hardware store or Home Depot. It's used for thinning shellac and removing paint, among other things. A word of caution: this stuff evaporates very rapidly and is not good for your health, so use it in a well-ventilated area. It can also be absorbed through the skin, so wear plastic or rubber gloves when using it. It's not corrosive, so it won't damage the gloves (I use it in a large plastic container for stripping paint from plastic models, although it doesn't remove all brands of paint. Either way, it doesn't attack the plastic.) To remove the lettering, wrap a rag over your gloved finger, dip it into the liquid, then gently rub the letters. They should begin to fade with a few passes: if not, then this isn't likely going to work.

Wayne

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
doctorwayne said:
Often, the factory lettering is three-dimensional enough that a "ghost" image of it can been seen through the overcoat of black paint.

Yep, that does happen and trust me, it doesn't look very good!!!

Good advise Wayne. I use laquer thinner to remove paint and unwanted lettering from my models.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm a big fan of lacquer thinner for all sorts of stuff, but be very careful using it on plastic for removing paint. I use it as a glue for styrene because it softens plastic so easily, and makes a very strong bond. PollyScale E-Z-Liftoff is useful for removing lettering too, but be sure to follow the instructions (and warnings!) on the can. All of these chemicals require careful handling.

Wayne

L

lester perry

You may have to strip the tender to get what you want. I have used brake fluid for this and it works quit well. The numbers on cab will probably not be a problem when painted over.
Les