Athearn Blue Box GP50 Help

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Hi guys, im hoping someone can help me out with my Athearn GP50. Its in the UP Paint #53 and its a Blue Box kit.

It did not come with the handrails so i have to get a set and paint them.

but im having problems with the inside of the loco. The motor was out when i got the loco (not under the shell) and ive noticed some broken parts as well :eek: :cry:

ill post some pics of that stuff:

4f3f7545.jpg

0a8eee60.jpg

Whats that little piece called that broke off? i need to get a replacement for it. The other one on the other side is still in tacked and i was able to put it back on (it was also loose in the box).

Also what is the easiest way to assemble the motor back in the frame? I cant seem to get the things in the picture above to go inside the rods that are on the trucks?? :confused: The thing thats sticking up in the picture below

6823fe51.jpg

I think i know how to put the metal clip back in so that shouldnt be a problem

bd7c38ac.jpg

I think thats all that needs to be done to fix the loco and get it running again, but im not sure.....

Also, i want to install a Dynamic Break for this loco like on my BN GP50: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH46638

how would i go about doing that? Do i have to cut the opening for it out of the shell?

d08053e6.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Scratch the Dynamic Break help, i figured out how to re-move the original dynamic break, and im also going to get a weight to stick in there with the new dynamic break.

Now im just stuck with the issues of the guts lol

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
The long metal clip, snaps on the top of the motor, and the ends tuck in under the metal clips on the trucks. The white plastic "nubs", on the bottom of the motor, go into the four holes loctaed in the bottom of the tank.

I do have a couple of extra drive universals. PM me and I'll mail them to ya.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 8
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 6

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
As far as putting the drive back together(I couldn't get a good pic, so I used yours), in universal coupling that mounts to the flywheel you'll see a slot or keyway. On the drive shaft, there is a spline, or a key. You may have to rotate the motor by hand until the keyway and the key line up. The coupling should then slide on the drive shaft.

Attachments

• motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 9
  • motor4.jpg
    motor4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 7

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks for the replies and help guys!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think i got it, i got the motor in and the clip on. I also was able to get the side that did not have the broken drive shaft in as well :thumb: :mrgreen:

That was easyer then i had thought lol

88, im sending you a PM right now :mrgreen:

Russ Bellinis

Josh
Here is a link to add to your bookmarks. He has a lot of useful info on making Athearn blue box and similar locomotives run reliably.

http://trainweb.org/jfuhrtrain/tuneup.htm

Another thing to consider is the motor mounts. Athearn used the rubbery mounts forever (a friend of mine refers to them as "gummy bear" mounts). The new Athearns use a hard plastic mount with 4 small screws to secure it to the frame. You can order the new style mounts separately from Horizon. The old style mounts are known for coming loose from the frame. The new style will interchange with the old ones and you will get much more reliable operation out of them.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Josh
Here is a link to add to your bookmarks. He has a lot of useful info on making Athearn blue box and similar locomotives run reliably.

http://trainweb.org/jfuhrtrain/tuneup.htm

Another thing to consider is the motor mounts. Athearn used the rubbery mounts forever (a friend of mine refers to them as "gummy bear" mounts). The new Athearns use a hard plastic mount with 4 small screws to secure it to the frame. You can order the new style mounts separately from Horizon. The old style mounts are known for coming loose from the frame. The new style will interchange with the old ones and you will get much more reliable operation out of them.

Thanks for the link Russ, ill check out the site :mrgreen:

Also, thanks for the info on the new mount, ill look into them and see if i can order some of them soon, i dont really like the older "gummy bear" mounts anyways LOL

Russ Bellinis

I ordered out a package of the new style mounts for a friend and if I remember correctly, they were priced about $12.00 for a pack of 6 mounts.