At the Cafe of Broken Dreams vignette (Fallout)

daishi

Apr 14, 2011
Hungary
Ever since I've bought a 3D printer my Paper projects slowed down a bit ... but not stopped!

I just finished a Fallout themed vignette. It was work in progress for about a year now.

Cafe of Broken Dreams is a random encounter in Fallout 2. The Chosen One (player) can encounter characters left out from Fallout 1, like the red-headed female protagonist, etc. Also, he can acquire Dogmeat the fan-favorite dog follower from Fallout 1.

I have put a lot of references from the original Fallouts into this one:
- The Vault suit is of the Fallout 4 design but the 13 on the back is from Vault 13 a main location in the original games
- The character has an original PipBoy 2000 personal computing unit on his belt. which was used in the original games only. I've put small LEDs and a 3V battery in its vacuum tubes as well, they are too bright, I need to put in a resistor or something.
- Cat's Paw magazine was a miscellaneous object and had a very rememberable quest in Fallout 2 tied to it.
- The Guns and Bullets magazine is the small guns skill book.
- The Food is called Iguana on a stick, yummy and has a very morbid side quest in Fallout 1 concerning Iguana Bob ... if you saw Soylent Green you can guess what it entails :D
- There are more Bottle Caps on the table than the one Nuka Cola the character is drinking ... that's the currency in FO1
- The duffle bag under the table sports the Fallout version of the USA flag.
- The eye protection glasses on the character can be seen in the intro for FO2, Vault Dwellers need them because they lived underground for a looong time.
- The license plate on the pauldron I saw in the FO76 trailer, so it is not exactly from the original games, but it is a California plate (the originals were in California, 76 in West Virginia). According to the Internet, these blue plates were in use during the '70s. So I've made the stickers say 2077 Oct, since the Bombs fell on 2077 Oct 23.
- The actual license number is 77 from 2077 (I should have gone with 23 but oh well), and TK-421 is an easter egg in Fallout. It can be seen on the World Map screen, next to L5-AA23. In SW The New Hope Leia is in cell AA23 on Level 5 and one of the stormtroopers whose armor Han and Luke use for disguises is TK-421.

Now that I've written this list I might need to put a G.E.C.K. next to the duffle as well :p

So anyway here are some pictures.
BrokenDream01.jpg AtCoBD_04.jpg AtCoBD_05.jpg
AtCoBD_06.jpg AtCoBD_03.jpg AtCoBD_02.jpg
AtCoBD_01.jpg AtCoBD_07.jpg

On the technical side,
- The floor is gribbled, that came out AWESOME!!!
- The nameplate is Silver packaging paper printed on with pigment ink printer and backed by a piece of cardstock
- This is the first model I've done using my Silhouette Cameo cutting machine. I had a few torn parts with it cutting the photo paper itself. I think it is due to the top layer on the paper is kind of easy to peel off.
I've switched to a different "technique", I cut all flaps from the actually patterned photo paper, and use the cameo to cut out a duplicate of all parts from normal card stock, then make joining strips from the later.

AtCoBD_11.jpg AtCoBD_12.jpg AtCoBD_13.jpg AtCoBD_14.jpg AtCoBD_15.jpg
I still need to experiment with this, I was not able to make that well-rounded objects with this technique yet.
Also, it seems that choosing the correct color for edges is much more important since I cannot fit the edges as snugly as with my old technique. I guess practice makes perfect :D

That's about it for now

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Your artistry is superb. Damn, that came out great! :)

Reactions: daishi

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think if you experimented with water forming some parts, you would get the results you desire. It would add much effort, you would have to use Pigment based Ink and a printer that uses that kind of ink. It's I technique I introduced, and that members have taken to a much higher level. Dan B King's "aso-ussc-discovery-one" space ship models shows the technique done very well. ;)

This thread will show you a new way of making parts. Link = https://www.zealot.com/threads/2001-aso-ussc-discovery-one.172205/

Reactions: daishi