Armored Trooper Votoms: ATM-09-GC Brutish Dog build...

Sudsy

What did I just get myself into?
20211205_122613.jpg

I started watching Armored Trooper Votoms this last week... And so, I'm back at papercrafting. I did a lot of research and found two models. One being Webdudes Scopedog which is a 49 page beast of a build, and then I found the Brutishdog from a designer out of Hong Kong on Papercraft Square:
http://www.papercraftsquare.com/arm...utishdog-free-mecha-paper-model-download.html

I just saw the first episode with this Brusishdog Votoms, and am glad I picked it as my build. Though, it's a 54 page beast. I'm kicking myself for not scaling it down as well. This shall be my most intense papercraft model yet! Great instructions though. Compared to my normal builds, this should be pretty clear. Now, lets see if I need to paint it or not!

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Thats a nice one, looking forward to see how this model turns out

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Near looking critter. I wouldn't want to see that coming towards me! :)

Sudsy

Cool! Let's see how this one turns out... grabbing the popcorn (Yummy!!!)

Popcorn, you might buy stock in a popcorn supplier at this point... This project may take a while! My biggest builds (page count wise) prior to this don't even add (combined) up to this one model... (my Macharius Vulcan and Proteus II Landraider builds). That, and I'm going to spend some time getting the references right as well... Watching the anime.

Speaking of which, @zathros and @Rhaven Blaack; if you feel this build should be in the anime and figurine category, feel free to move it.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I have to agree with @zathros. This thread is perfectly fine, right where it is. I have no problems with it being here.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Sudsy

So, I just now found this thread, after finding Webdude's Scopedog as a resource here... That will be next. However, I'll dedicate this build thread to Webdude's memory anyway!

This Brutishdog is going to be, huge. I've just created the first part, A1 - A3, for part 1. This is a 125mm/5" diameter neck for the head to attach to. I've started doing my usual changes, after making a mess with my glue again.... I'll never learn! Or maybe I need to find transparent glue.

20211226_131838.jpg

20211226_165247a.jpg20211226_165255a.jpg

Here you can see a copier paper copy of the parts I used as a template for making a card stock backing sheet. I removed the tabs, and cut out the slots as reference shows them to be slightly below the level of the surface parts. I didn't see if they were view ports or not however, and I've only gotten through the first story arc on the Blu-Ray (episodes 1-13). Not a lot of Brutishdog until the very end, and the battles Cirico (piloting a Scopedog) has with Prototype 1 (piloting this red/pink Brutishdog) are rather short, and there is no cockpit area details around the neck in the film. Some of the model kits, which may or may not be painted to reference, show these as just indentations and slots in the surface of the armor. At any rate, this will get a coat of primer and paint in the future! Looking at the sub assemblies, I'll wait until I have the head dome assembled before doing so.

20211226_165320.jpg

Now I have a problem Blackadder and a few others who build mega crafts have... Where will I put this when I'm done?! I may not have a shelf big enough. Based on what I've seen in the series, this could easily be close to 1/12 scale! I'm going to laugh if this turns out smaller than that. I'll have to dig up some 6" figures for comparison!

Attachments

• 20211226_165302.jpg
    20211226_165302.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 0

Sudsy

I have an update! I finally got back to this model.... Last night's progress was on the antennas and the iconic triple lenses.

Using florist wire, I found the antennas a bit heavy for the card stock box they go into, so I ended up filling the container with hot glue after attaching the antennas with CA glue and ensuring they were aligned how I wanted them.

After that, it was loads of fun with the googly eyes from the craft store. I wanted some nice 3D lenses to paint, and these fit perfectly. I amost want to build another set without painting the googly eyes....

20220320_221029.jpg20220320_221018.jpg20220320_221012.jpg20220320_214941.jpg20220320_213620.jpg20220320_213450.jpg20220320_213048.jpg20220320_213042.jpg20220320_213029.jpg20220320_213021.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That link now shows a "Malicious Domain Request" and is blocked by Norton 360. I wonder what's going on, maybe a redirect?

Models looks good. ;)

Sudsy

That link now shows a "Malicious Domain Request" and is blocked by Norton 360. I wonder what's going on, maybe a redirect?

Models looks good. ;)
Which link... Hm... I might just have to see if there isn't a file archived somewhere else (like my own hard drive) to donate to someone wanting to build one!

Thanks, glad you like how it's coming out.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The original link where you posted you got the model from. It also does not use the newer https: prefix, which means the site will be blocked unless you clear it to go to. I did, then the "Malicious Domain Attack" popped up from Norton. This did not happen when you first posted the link. I liked the way the model way coming out, so I though I would download it just in case. :)

Sudsy

The original link where you posted you got the model from. It also does not use the newer https: prefix, which means the site will be blocked unless you clear it to go to. I did, then the "Malicious Domain Attack" popped up from Norton. This did not happen when you first posted the link. I liked the way the model way coming out, so I though I would download it just in case. :)
I've posted the files in Resources, at least for review. Given the fact that Papercraft Square is no longer around, I'm a bit suspicious about the models provided there. If anyone has information relating to that old site, let me know I couldn't find anything about the original author (who apparently is from Hong Kong), or any other mention of the model outside of Papercraft Square however. I suspect that they just republished free models until the owner just didn't care to update the site any longer and let the domain go dead (i.e. invested nothing further into it until the domain name payment didn't happen any more). I liked the original posting from Wayback Machine in the description. Sadly, all the download links are dead-ends.