Any Hints for using Zip Dry Glue?

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I've finally found this stuff here in NW Georgia and am trying it for the first time, my main question is, Can it be removed after it has dried? I know that Alieens and White Glue can be re wet with water to remove them, Can you do the same thing with Zip Dry and if so with which solvent?

Thanks...

Lighter

Jun 25, 2012
Isn't it like rubber cement? Try peeling it off. Or rubbing it into a ball. The mnfr's site recommends paint thinner for thinning the stuff. But, I doubt that it is still the solvent when the stuff has cured.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have just stuck a Razor underneath it, and lifted it. You just break the mechanical bond. :)

wingsabre

Jun 29, 2012
I've used Zipdry before, and I'm not sure if I used it correctly or not because I hated using it. The glue dried too quickly, and beaded up. I had to scrap it out with a knife. It can be removed by rubbing it off, especially when it strings up, but I found that I end up using too much effort to rub it out and risk damaging the print.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Best if you store it upside down. Less is more with stuff. It is a mechanical bond, it's kind of like "Elmers Glue, an Elmers Glue that works. :)

xBobble

Apr 28, 2012
Best if you store it upside down.

That's quite mad, I say!

I can't believe I didn't think of doing that. My biggest frustration with Zip Dry has been that I haven't been using it regularly and it gets all gunked up in the bottle tip. I spend a few minutes cleaning out the half-gelled stuff in the bottle tip just for it all to happen again in a few days when I'm back at it.

xBobble

Apr 28, 2012
So, I was googling how to thin Zip Dry glue and came across this post talking about the glue thickening up on a scrapbooking site. Might help other Zip Dry users out there:

Hi everyone,

My name is Karen and I work for Beacon Adhesives, the makers of Zip Dry as well as many other adhesives. I came across this thread and sent it to Mike, Beacon's Glueologist, so he could shed light on this. Here is his reply:

Hello Everyone,

I’m very sorry to hear so many of you are having problems with Zip Dry thickening up. It thickens because it is drying. There are three reasons why the glue will dry in the bottle.

1.The wrong white cap was applied at the factory. This would be evident when you actually buy the product, if you notice the glue level is low in the bottle while it’s at the store, that bottle is defective, please select another bottle.

(We figured that one out and have long stopped using the wrong caps. Having said that, you may be witnessing some remnant bottles)

2.Not replacing the flat cap after use has long been a cause of evaporation. The glue will start to dry through the applicator cap. Please remove the applicator cap after use and put the flat white cap back on.

3.Cutting too much off the applicator tip and holding the bottle upside down during use. When you cut too much off the tip of the applicator cap, too much air gets into the bottle. Holding the bottle upside down allows the air to travel through the glue in the form of a bubble which ends up at the bottom of the bottle. When you stand the bottle up again, the bubble flows through the bottle again and escapes through the hole at the tip of the applicator top. Too much air flowing in and out of the bottle will dry the glue out quickly. Hold the bottle at a 45 degree angle during use so not so much air can enter the bottle.

HELPFUL HINTS:

Un-Do will thin out Zip Dry. Use it if the glue is thicker than usual.

Apply Vaseline or petroleum jelly to the applicator cap. That prevents strings from forming.

Another way to prevent strings is to snap the applicator cap away from the surface after applying the glue.

I found the best way to clean out the applicator cap after use is to let it drain a bit, then I stick a wooden match into the cap and set is aside to dry. The next day when it’s dry, I just pull the match out. All the dried glue sticks to the cap and none of it sticks to the inside of the cap.

Did you know that if you get too much Zip Dry on your project you can rub it away? Hold your piece in place and pick up the excess with your finger. You can smear that on a scrap paper. Then with your finger, rub away the balance of the moist glue. It balls up and it’s all gone.

If you want to see a Zip Dry Demo, please visit:

Also if you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Thanks, Mike

Mike Assile

Glueologist

973.427.3700 ext 305

Last edited by a moderator:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Mike, for you to join this forum and post your advice has been a great benefit. I have been pushing ZIP DRY for a long time, as it has unique qualities that cannot be found in other glues. To be honest, i always store the bottles upside down. that solves any evaporation or thickening problems. Please, feel free to point out any more suggestions. I appreciate you staying within the rules of this forum and not overtly hawking, or trying to sell your product. It is one that many of us use, and any information is gladly accepted. thanks

zathros
Administrator

Reactions: Lighter

SmallRealities

Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I just started using zip dry for papercraft projects. It's rubber cement, but in a convenient squeeze bottle instead of having to brush it on. I find it works really well for smaller areas (tabs, etc.) but I still use PVA glue for larger areas.

The zip dry does dry pretty fast so you can build quicker.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I glued a metal rail, made out of a paper clip, to a piece of paper. That is a damned good glue!!

The trick to storing the bottle upside down is to NEVER put it right side up again, that way, no new air is ever introduced and the drying won't occur. The air inside is contaminated with the ZIp-Dry, so the natural increase in size will not make it harden. Also, I use a very very thick "Leather" sewing needle to pop a hole. That allows me to put don very small beads. I also have a bottle for "gooping" it on. It contains no Lignin, and ix Toxic free, *****I use it as a Salad Dressing" with I need to "Bind Up a little" so if you have a valuable book, it is perfect for repair, as it will never yellow on you, or you book! :)

****Hyperbole, just trying to demonstrate the many uses, I would not recommend eating it at all, you may never be able to void again!!

mbauer

Cardstock Model designer
Jan 31, 2006
Nikiski, Alaska
Very interesting glue. Used it for two models so far and like it! No warping of paper and dries fast. Great tips on storing, Thank You!

Mike

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It has a great elastomeric property. Allows objects to take hits without destroying itself. :)