Any Experience with Upgrading Lionel Couplers?

rjhartman

I've purchased some Lionel Ready to run sets and some additional rolling stock. The rolling stock I purchased after the set was much nicer in that the couplers were heavier, had spings and magnetic couplers. I went out and bought a bunch of the Lionel 6-14251 - Die-Cast Metal Sprung Trucks that they list in the catalog to Upgrade your existing rolling stock. They came with no instructions and the existing rolling stock appears to be press-fit riveted in instead of a screw and bolt. Does anybody have any experience with these? or have any suggestions? I know that he trucks are painted plastic so I didn't want to start digging around with a screw driver and scratch up the cars. Any help would be appreciated.

Pooh Bah
On some of the older stock (mine is 1950s vintage) the rivet is held with a C clip above the floor. On mine, this meant removing the floor or floor section that held the truck; if you're lucky there are screws holding it, but one of my gondolas had metal tabs on plastic posts and on my whistling tender the clips were underneath the whistle.
(I've heard that the C-clips are also called Jesus clips as in "Jesus, where did that go?" Be careful removing them.)

rjhartman

Newer Models

Thanks for the info, however, I'm looking for information on updating newer model rolling stock. I may have found the answer to my own question on the web: http://www.rivetin.com/ Carl makes riveting tools custom to working on model trains. I've emailed him my requirements and when he gets back to me, I'll purchase what I need. I'll post how this works out.