And for my next creation....

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Glad to see this! a really big E is much wanted. As for these actions of your ex, I would document everything as much as possible, names date, times, pics, vids etc...get witnesses. In court, that would help you tremendously.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
looking good, just one thing, did you check how your light blocking was gonna work before you closed it up.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
And here we go, both nacelles complete :)

Front view

IMG_20190213_172415.jpg

Top view

IMG_20190213_172406.jpg

And rear view

IMG_20190213_172425.jpg

And now the lights :)

IMG_20190213_172541.jpg

And the running lights, instead of trying to mount the LED or "channel" the light I opted to block all but where it's supposed to show. I quite like the way they've come out. Here's the port one

IMG_20190213_172509.jpg

And starboard

IMG_20190213_172501.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Everything looks GREAT! I like the lighting. It add "life" to the model.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The seams on this model are excellent. The fit is very well indeed. This may be your best model yet!! :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Moving on to the wing supports,

New adventures in waterforming! (My Dad's suggestion, inspired by how they used to build the old square-riggers :))

A concern on this model template, there are no supports for the wings in the template! :eek::headbange: Even without my modifications I cannot see how one could avoid "nacelle droop" without supports!

You could use the method below or maybe some card supports.

So, to add some support (also as I have increased the weight due to the LEDs) I took some coffee/popsicle sticks and tried to get the angles right. I measured where the wing starts and then soaked the stick in some water. Remove, bend as far as you can (gently!) then repeat until you get your angle right :) If you do take it too far then (as long as the stick is still wet) you can just reduce the angle.

Once you've got your angle the sticks need to dry in shape. I did one, matching the angle to the wing, then used it to assist lining up the second one. I clamped them together to ensure both match. Here we go....

IMG_20190219_063307.jpg

Finished product

IMG_20190219_063336.jpg

IMG_20190219_063348.jpg

And test fit into the secondary hull, I cut some holes to allow the stick to be threaded through. I suppose you could use individual sticks, depending on the model and what effect you're after.

IMG_20190219_064120.jpg IMG_20190219_064132.jpg IMG_20190219_064204.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Water forming with steam has been done for centuries. A Tea Kettle works great. One trick is always to use a longer stick than you need. When I used to make small boats, you would secure that end to the bow, the make sure that piece was a couple of feet longer than what you needed. This allows the wood to bend with less stress and you cut off the piece that is sticking out when done, then do the same thing for the next piece, and so on. When doing once piece, it's a bit easier, and the end result in this case, will make for a very strong model. The piece that connects the saucer to the body is also the part I always see messed up, and the saucer sections (or body) depending on your perspective, is cock eyed. Get that right and you have conquered the world!! (of Star Trek) :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Make sure the fit between the ends of the nacelle supports meet the body section flush, it looks like there may be a gap there. Hard to tell from the pics, but there looks like a seam problem that you could fix now. This model is coming out excellent!! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I love this build thread but the pictures are so large, it takes forever to load. I recommend using the Thumbnnail Option or posting smaller pictures. Cropping them to the area you are highlighting also works welll. Thanks! :)