An Update

iis612

As alot of you know, my layout has ground to a dead halt. I injured myself at work about 9 months ago and finally, yesterday someone was able to figure out what is wrong with my wrists. 2 of the major structures in my wrist are torn off the end of the ulna in my left wrist and stretched beyond their limits in my right. I also have severe carpal tunnel in my right and moderate in my left. I will have to have surgery on both wrists to repair the damage and release the carpal tunnels. If everything goes smoothly I should be back to work in about 8-9 more months, but the surgery has not been scheduled yet.

jesso

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Very sorry to hear how long it took to finally find out what was wrong. Hopefully someday we can find doctors that do medicine instead of just practicing it. Hope that you can get the surgery scheduled soon and be able to get back to work. And more importantly, get back to trains! :)

steamhead

Man...That s...s...(stinks)...But you gotta do what you gotta do...Just don't rush the recovery AND follow Drs. instructions. Too many of us get to a point where we feel well enough and stop the full rehab process....Not a good idea.
Good luck to you..!!! And drop in now & then...

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sounds like you need to design a floor layout... something you can work on with your feet!!!! Hey, don't laugh, there's people that do that! ...work with their feet that is.

e-paw

My neighbor just had carpal tunnel surgery about 6 months ago. With in a few days he felt like new, he started playing guitar again after 2 months and went back to work in 4. He just wishes he did it sooner (he put it off for 3 years) because he now feels great. Hope you have the same results.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow, that is a long recovery period. I wish you the best and a successful surgery. I can relate in a way. I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery and am having problems with my wrist and hand from being in a sling for seven weeks. They tell me that it will take a long time to get better since the wrist and hand are the hardest things to heal. Major surgery like this is never pleasant and you always wonder if you did the right thing because of the recovery period, but once it's behind you, you kick yourself for waiting so long to have it done.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Go Big1

Man, I hope the surgeries go well. Will they do surgery on both wrists at the same time? That seems kinda tough recovery-wise.

Regardless, I hope your rehab goes well. I've had to rehab my leg 4 times after 4 knee surgeries, and had to rehab my right arm after 4 elbow surgeries. I'm pretty much a mess, but you gotta just keep on trucking! :thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

Hope all goes well.
I had a very similar problem and the surgery left me in worse shape than before.
Get another opinion.

Russ Bellinis

Get well soon. I would not recommend doing surgery on both wrists at once. It is tough enough getting along with one working hand. Think about all of the things that you would have to have done for you by someone else if neither of your hands are working!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Best wishes and get well soon. I have a friend who would agree with Russ' recommendation about not doing both at the same time.

Ralph

Jim Krause

I'll second Russ' comment about not having both wrists done at the same time. I had a friend who went that route and he mentioned some of the basic problems. Need I say more?

A bit different, but when I was a kid I broke both arms at once, and one never healed right from having to use hands during healing (nothing major, just a bumpy bone). So definitely better if you have a choice to do one at a time as it's nearly impossible to stop yourself from using at least one hand for more than a day or two.