I tried to start this one last year and lost my nerve.
It's the AMT /Ertl Emperor Palpatine vinyl kit.
it's approximately 1:6th scale vinyl kit, so it will be glued with CA and 2 part epoxy. I hate using these now but it's the only thing to use on vinyl.
More pics to come.
A quick update for this morning, I got the pieces washed and all the excess vinyl trimmed from them.
The next step is to apply heat and "reform" some parts so the go together better. The head and cowl needs to be opened at the base a little to rest on the shoulders better, and the left arm piece needs to be spread at the top to reduce the gap.
For those that have never worked with a vinyl kit, the material responds well to heat, submerge the parts in nearly boiling water and the vinyl becomes soft and pliable. The heat makes the vinyl soft and easy to cut accurately, and you can reshape it then "set" the new shape by cooling.
I'll try to remember to get some before and after shots of the reshaping.
I figured the best way to show what the reshaping did was to outline the part before and after I reshaped it. I started with the cowl / head, before and after reshaping outlines side by side.
you can see the subtle change I made to the shape of the mounting area of the cowl.
You did a nice job and made some excellent progression pics. I've never thought much about why some kits are done in vinyl, but I would suspect they can cast fewer, more complete parts since vinyl can bend more in removal from the mold.