Adam Savage scratch build

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Thanks, I haven't seen this before and I don't have the TV. Love Mobius also, read all the old Heavy Metal Mags back in the 80's "The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius" was a favorite.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just love this guy! Whenever he tells his anecdotes I'm literally glued to his lips. The story about his C-3PO costume is unbelievable. Thank you for the link! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Personally, I think Adam Savage is a blithering idiot. That opinion was formed by watching how many ways they screwed up on that "Mythbusters" show. Yes, he did a neat model, but honestly, how many people do you know on this forum and others that do much more, and in less time. He is talented, no doubt.

I remember when they did a "Mythbusters' episode on Hydrogen Assist for vehicles. They did not follow the plans, and eventually just put a plate over the carburetor intake venturi and a 1/2" hose feeding a nipple, fed it pure hydrogen, with no oxygen, and were shocked , and proclaimed that kit a bust.

1st) They did not follow the directions
2nd) The cracking of water produces "Brown's Gas', which is highly explosive, and helps gas burn better, but the )2 sensor must be attached to what is called an E.F.I.E., which adjusts what the oxygen sensor reads, as it reads much oxygen in the exhaust, and then richens the mixture, this issue must be address. Again, because they did not follow the directions, they did none of this.
3rd) 100,000's of Tractor Trailer and fleet vehicls run commercial versions of these units, because a 10% increase in gas mileage, when you run a fleet of 100 Tractor Trailer trucks, putting on millions of miles a year, adds up.

4th) They removed their contraption, and were shocked that the car ran off of pure Hydrogen, and because it was not properly set up, had a tremendous Hydrocarbon backfire, which completely confused them. Their combined knowledge of automobiles is nil. They could have really hurt themselves doing such a dumb stunt like that.

This is only one example. An older one, working with a suspension bridge, and they did not have the suspension cables anchored to anything, trying to proven it's failure point, was ludicrous. Don't believe anything about that show.

Yes, they got some things right, the things most 3rd graders get right.

@Gandolf, believe me, you did not miss much not watching that show, except maybe some laughing at two overpaid jerks, with their lackeys, that somehow got a T.V. show.

I would hope he could make a box and greeble some stuff on it.

Their are fleets of trucks in Connecticut running commercial Hydrogen Modules, and they do help gasoline combust cleaner. They have to be set up right though. This is old technology, cracking water with plates in water, using Borax as an electrolyte(for example), and the Oxygen and Hydrogen, pumped into a High pressure tank do not form water, they form Brown's Gas, when ignited, explodes and it's final pollutant is water, Yes, water, the resultant explosion is the return of the energy that it took to crack the water, which is cracked with windmills, water wheels, or solar panels. Look it up. There are some crazy claims, but you will soon find the commercial retail units, these aren't cheap, but you can make one, if you are so motivated, very easily.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I still vividly remember his scorched eye brow - and the busted upper lip when he was "licking" at a grinding machine..!

OMG!! I missed that one!! That has to be one of the dumbest things that anyone would do that I've ever heard !!:rolllaughing::laughrolling:

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
I always regarded mythbusters as a light entertainment show.
As such, I never had high expectations of the quality of the experiments and accepted it was light touch designed to excite with bangs, pops and crashes rather than anything close to scientific or engineering excellence.

I like these you tube videos though as the sharing of techniques and background on film fx is interesting.

I'm also quite jealous of his workshop!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I always regarded mythbusters as a light entertainment show.
As such, I never had high expectations of the quality of the experiments and accepted it was light touch designed to excite with bangs, pops and crashes rather than anything close to scientific or engineering excellence.

I like these you tube videos though as the sharing of techniques and background on film fx is interesting.

I'm also quite jealous of his workshop!

You would like mine. I can make almost anything out in my Barn. I am toying with the idea of converting my milling machine into a CNC machine, but don't really have the need for it. I have enough compound and rotary tables to do exotics curves or parts. I have a very nice South Bend back gear lathe, and a Miller Econo-Tig welder, also a square wave Mig welder, tubing nothing cutters, the list goes on. I have most tools anyone would need for wood working also. I had an electronic repair shop for 10 years and still have all the equipment from that.

I have not purchased an exhaust system for any car I have owned in over 35 years. I am always able to fix the one that comes with the car. Same goes with quarter panels, floors (I had a Mercedes-Benz dealer that wanted to pay me $2500 dollars a side to do 450 SL Benz's after they saw mine, I politely declined, I was doing my own thing), in actuality, I fix almost everything I own. This includes my house, which sucks the life right out of me. ;)