A321-111 in Air France livery

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
This is my build of John Bowden's excellent repaint (and rescaling, extensive modification and accurization...) of Julius Perdana's Airbus A321-111 in Air France livery. The redrawn nose by Matthew Herbert is a great improvement over the original offering, too. At 1/72nd scale, it builds into an impressive model -- 56.5 cm long, with a wingspan of 42 cm.

I added a few extras, including a few small antennas, various details on the wings, added detail to the APU exhaust, added clear parts to the wingtip position lights and other small things. It was a straightforward and simple build; the engines are fun little models on their own.

IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6082.JPG IMG_6083.JPG

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That is one smooth fuselage. I love models of real things. This is a beauty for sure. I like the display also. It doesn't detract from the model. Very linear, all of it, it looks perfect! :)

Ponytail2

Oct 25, 2010
Compliments Dhanner!

Very good!:Congrats:thumbsup
Certainly I like the upgrades you did. Are the scratchbuilds or did you draw them?
Maybe it's nice to put them all in a seperate page and make it available for all of us?:wink:

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
Thanks for the kind words. I cannot take credit for the livery; I have trouble designing lunch, let alone an actual model. The basic model was designed by Julius, but John enlarged it and super-detailed it with accurate panel lines, cargo and cabin doors, warning and instruction placards, etc.

And my additions were just trial-and-error bits of scratchbuilding. I didn't do anything on computer.

Here is the underside:

IMG_6120.JPG

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Was that John Bowden? Just curious. It would be nice to have such a detailed version of this model. It's quite exquisite. Your build takes it over the top. :)

dhanners

Mar 16, 2004
st. paul, mn, usa
Indeed, it is the work of John Bowden, a very talented designer with an eagle eye for detail. He catches things I've never seen or heard of. For example, I built this and noticed that the second cabin door on the starboard side is smaller than the others. I asked John if that was an error and he said it wasn't; sure enough, when I did my own research, that door is smaller than the other seven cabin doors. I doubt I would've caught that.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
John Bowden's illustrations are astounding! :)