A very special unboxing -- The SA-43 Hammerhead from Space Above and Beyond [In Resin]

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
As some of you may know, i am working designing and making a paper model of the Hammerhead fighter from the television show "Space: Above and Beyond. And in order to accomplish this I decided to buy a model kit of it to provide me with some physical reference of the aircraft.

This model was done by "Fantastic Plastic", a small model making company out of California:

Fantastic Plastic is run by Allen B. Ury, a model collector and builder. His website also features a virtual museum of the model in his collection that he has built. He is also a Hollywood screenwriter and script doctor.

In this thread I am doing an unboxing of the kit and will write about my impressions of the model.

Attachments

• Hammerhead_0001.png
    Hammerhead_0001.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
In this image I put the model kit box next to a DVD case to give the idea of how big the box is. The model is in 1:72 scale, standard scale but it can make for a small model. Given that this model is cast in resin, the 1:72 scale is probably one of the more affordable options without compromising detail

Attachments

• Hammerhead_0002.png
    Hammerhead_0002.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
In these pictures we can the model kit still in the bag. We also see the assembly instructions for the model which show you how to assemble it and gives you some recommendations on what type of glue to use. Here we can see the decal sheet which is superbly done. This set of decals is of a very high quality and is the best set of decals I have ever seen for a model.

Attachments

• Hammerhead_0005.png
    Hammerhead_0005.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Hammerhead_0006.png
    Hammerhead_0006.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Hammerhead_0007.png
    Hammerhead_0007.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Some beauty shots of the main pieces of the model. These pieces need some work -- mainly sanding and cutting off the excess resin "flash". But I think it shows the overall quality of the model. With the right paint job and detailing the model has the potential to look awesome and become a great addition to any model collection!

Attachments

• Hammerhead_0011.png
    Hammerhead_0011.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Hammerhead_0012.png
    Hammerhead_0012.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • Hammerhead_0013.png
    Hammerhead_0013.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Here I compared the size of the model to the DVD case. I think it is going to be a good size to work with. Of course, i would love to see a 1:48 or 1:32 scale of this model, but at this size the 1:72 scale will give many opportunities for detailing. The other advantage to this scale is that it will give you a nice looking model that will fit on your desk or shelf without taking up too much room.

Another thing a like about the model is the "weight" of the main fuselage section, and the overall durability of the model.

Attachments

• Hammerhead_0014.png
    Hammerhead_0014.png
  • Hammerhead_0015.png
    Hammerhead_0015.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • Hammerhead_0016.png
    Hammerhead_0016.png

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Here is the link to the model at Fantastic Plastic:

The price for the kit is $75.00 (Be aware though, there is another price of $85.00 on the website. I purchased my kit for $75.00, but the price may change). Still at the $75/$85 price point I feel this kit is a good buy. It is detailed in all the right places and with a degree of care and patience will make a fun model to build. Also, if you have the expertise, there will be no limit to what you will be able to do with this model.

Based on this model I want to buy more kits from Fantastic Plastic. Besides the quality of the kit, I was pleased with with the instructions, the decals, and the fast shipping.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you for this indepth review. Nice to see that it comes with landing gear. Clean-up may require some work. Make sure that you are wearing a good face mask during building. Resin dust is much more dangerous that regular polystyrene. Resin is harder and breaks more easily, so be extra careful when working on it. :)

Reactions: Awry_Chaos

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
This is a great review of this model. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Before you apply the decals to the model, I would suggest scanning them into your computer, so that you can use them as reference for the paper/cardstock template.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Before you apply the decals to the model, I would suggest scanning them into your computer, so that you can use them as reference for the paper/cardstock template.
Not only that, the scan will serve as a backup if something goes wrong. Scanning the decals is the first thing I do when I receive a new kit. ;)

Before applying a decal spray-paint the area with a layer of glossy clear; that prevents silvering. Then use a good decal softener to have the decal follow the surface contours nicely. :)