A little help with Teaching Resources

AdmiralGR

May 3, 2020
London
Hi All

I've had a little break from my proliferos postings of past

Papercraft saved me during a dark time of covid and I'm thankfully for that.

Star Trek is my things and that's what I've made loads of.

However now, as part of an enrichment program in my school, I'm running a Papercraft class for studnets.

I'm planning on it being scissors and paper initially and I found an alphabet and the optical illusion dragon.

I'm just wondering it anyone knows of a resource cache of things studnets could make (all my trek stuff is rather niche and multi page!)

Thanks in advance

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I'd ask your class for objects of interest to them. A good place to start. :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I have run programs like this, for troubled, challenged, and mentally ill youth and adults, and Zathros gives good advice. Many youth today have little, or no, hands-on craft skill experience. Picking a subject initially valuable yo them, increases persistence. Learning physical skills, and having a fear of failure, can really impact young people today in a manner more challenging than in generations past. persistence is not a valuer stressed in modern education.

Also be very careful regarding instructions. Kits with poor instructions can frustrate youth a great deal; increasing rejection. If they give up, its harder to get them back, than it was to start off with them.

Kits with good instructions, and have previously tested for fit by you, work best. It is really a goof idea to have a list of kits, like found on Fiddler's Greene, that you have test fit, or some of the mentioned Canon kits. Just test them first.

I almost always start off with a very simple two piece box kit, where I teach about curves, folds, and cuts, using the same simple kit with everyone, and then give them a chance to use those basic skills on the kits that they are able to master, but have a personal investment in completing.

Just a few thoughts....

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I agree. When I was learning English I stuck with what I liked the most (Star Trek: TNG). That way my attention was grabbed more intensely and I put more emphasis to it. :)

AdmiralGR

May 3, 2020
London
Thanks all

The Canon links are a perfect starting place. I want to be able to have a 'good' set of kits Availbe that I could refer to. There looks to be a big selection of object to choose from

Absolutely will let them choose things they like, I just needed a start place.

Completely agree re "poor" fit models, I've made some of those and after spending hours on it and the saucer being badly twisted you don't feel like you won!

Again, thank you all! I hope to find the time to get back to my Star Trek builds again but as you know, life gets in the way!