A facsimilie switch list

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
A switch list

First of all I'd just like to say that I'm real pleased to see this new forum! Thanks to all who made it possible. :thumb:

A while ago I found a picture of an actual Penn Central switchlist online. It appears that they might have been manilla cards instead of paper but I decided to create paper versions on my computer. The original has more columns but I couldn't decipher the small print above all of them in the picture so I simplified the form for my future use.

Here's my version....

Attachments

• list 1.jpg
    list 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 233

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Based on an article about switchlists I read in the 2004 Great Model Railroads magazine, and some things I've learned about the PC I plan to use such lists as illustrated below.

This is an abbreviated example from the Kingsport Turn, a local that originates and returns to Kingsport after serving some industries on the line. As I understand it such a train might be designated KK-2.

Based on article in GMR I've broken up the cars that will be switched into Set outs and Pick ups. If any cars were supposed to stay where they were I'd note them as Hold on the list.

In the example below Penn Central 50 ft box car number 160502 (the article said that car numbers were usually abbreviated) is destined for set out at LaRoche Manufacturing while New Haven 50 ft box car 35688 is bound for Vandelay Industries.

Pennsey gondola 315868 is to be picked up from Sal Monella's Salvage Yard.

I'm thinking that prior to an operating session I'll assemble strings of cars appropriate for my layout industries and create a switch list for each train along these lines...

Any suggestions, ideas, or corrections of how this might have been done on the prototype?

Thanks!
Ralph

Attachments

• list 2.jpg
    list 2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 232

Tileguy

Looks good to me :)
I have a couple of switchlist examples.layout is a bit differant,but all the meat and potatoes are the same :)