2001 ASO USSC Discovery One

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
I think building one Discovery, especially to that level, is a once in a lifetime goal reached. That's why you repair this model, you don't rebuild it! It's far to valuable in currency of time, money, and experience. ;)
I think this model could be considered a Magnum Opus of model making! Fortunately, it was fairly easy to repair. Someday, I hope it ends up in a museum.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Quite a commitment. I'd personally build up my skills a bit for this one, maybe building the UHU Aries model first, and practice water forming the spherical surfaces. I don't have the time for such a commitment to either models. ;)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I've made some progress on the construction of the frame for Discovery....

All the parts were cut to size following my sketches....

All the joints of the construction are doweled and glued, no screws or nails have been used so far.......

The central shelf was made up first. The dimensions of the frame were based on the two pieces of glass, so I wanted to get that right first.
The flatest surface I had to work on was the marble tiled floor of the kitchen. I put the towels over the ends of the clamps to remind me that they were there, to avoid injury to my bare feet and the loud swearing that would accompany it.... :cool: ;)

20210310_194814.resized.jpg

Once that had dried overnight, I added 9mm square beading for the glass. That pretty much completes that part.

20210315_185706.resized.jpg

The legs were assembled ready for attaching...

20210315_185759.resized.jpg

As I speak, the gluing up process of the main frame is in progress. I'm hoping to get that all done tonight.

20210315_185745.resized.jpg

Stay tuned! :wave: