1960 Alvis TD21

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
As a note, the aluminum ‘duct tape’, which is shiny aluminum with a sticky back works for lots of model chores. It is shiny enough to be a reflector and is very easy to stick onto something as a backing. I have used it as reflectors in light fixtures and as ceiling tiles in one build. Good stuff.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You can Spray the interior of the windows and make the dark. That would negate the need for an interior. You can use aluminum foil for bumpers, but it never goes on the way you want. If you carefully sand the bumper edges, maybe clear coating them first, then you could either buy small Bottles of Chrome paint, or Chrome Spray paint for an effective finish.

If you buy a small can of "Flex-Seal", you tires can be made to look like real rubber ones. You can ad thin strips as tread, and when you paint them with thing layers of "Flex-Seal", they look like rubber tread tires. ;)

Reactions: OldMiner

Mark Crowel

User of old school drafting tools; no CAD.
Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
Thank you all for the advice, however I made changes to the windows before coming to the forum and reading your suggestions. I generally use light gray paper for the windows on my cars, so I went back to that. Using clear plastic for the windows would have involved doing some major cutting into the already completed center section. Couldn't bring myself to do that.

I will need to draw the "trim" around the edges of the rear window.

I don't mind the fact that my models are so obviously cardboard and paper. When I show them to people who are not paper modelers, they are surprised that a model can be made of such materials.

I might be getting a little "project fatigue". This is the second model of the Alvis TD21 I've built in order to make an improved version of it, so I am looking forward to finishing this and beginning a new project.

P1010001 (12).JPGP1010002 (14).JPGP1010003 (14).JPGP1010004 (14).JPGP1010005 (15).JPG

Last edited:

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
You can Spray the interior of the windows and make the dark. That would negate the need for an interior. You can use aluminum foil for bumpers, but it never goes on the way you want. If you carefully sand the bumper edges, maybe clear coating them first, then you could either buy small Bottles of Chrome paint, or Chrome Spray paint for an effective finish.

If you buy a small can of "Flex-Seal", you tires can be made to look like real rubber ones. You can ad thin strips as tread, and when you paint them with thing layers of "Flex-Seal", they look like rubber tread tires. ;)
Good idea. I just thought of a bottle of ‘liquid electrical tape’ I got for my solar power projects. I need to test it for making ‘tires’.

Mark Crowel

User of old school drafting tools; no CAD.
Jul 28, 2007
Southwest Michigan.
Done. Not perfect, but better than my first rendition of the Alvis TD21.
I looked at internet photos of 1960 Alvis TD21s to see if any had disc wheels and hubcaps instead of wire wheels, and some did, so I went with disc wheels and hubcaps, not just to avoid drawing spokes on wire wheels, but because I really don't like wire wheels on any care made after 1932. I think disc wheels and hubcaps look better.

P1010001.JPGP1010002 (5).JPGP1010003.JPGP1010004 (3).JPGP1010005 (3).JPGP1010006 (4).JPGP1010007 (3).JPG