1/24 Mercury spacecraft

I decided to give paper modelling at try again after a 35 years. My first model was a simple 1/24 Mercury spacecraft that I downloaded from the Lower Hudson Valley e-gift shop.

The model went together very well and all parts fit with very close tolerances. The escape tower gave me a little trouble, but that was mainly my fault for not thinking ahead. I laminated two layers of 110# card stock for the tower, but that made it hard to fold. I separated the three sections and then added a hidden fold joiner at each corner. That simplified it and made it all come together easier.

This kit is not as detailed as some others I have found since, but was just what I need for a first time build. I learned quite a bit and was using different cutting and gluing techniques at the end than I was using at the beginning. I will probably build another "display" Mercury spacecraft a little later, after I have a few more practice models under my belt. For now, it is orbiting (yes, I know the tower is not there in orbit) around my hobby room, soon to be joined by a practice Gemini.

Comments or and advice welcome.

Thanks,

James B.IMG_5776.JPGIMG_5777.JPGIMG_5778.JPGIMG_5780 (1).JPG;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Great job!! I built this model, and is a wonderful display piece. Unfortunately, if I had thought aout it, I would have put some Tig wire to hold the Jettison Rockets, because as they absorbed moisture, they started to collapse. Balsa would have worked too, so would coating them with Gel Crazy Glue. ;)