Zedob's Layout Party

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Thanks Guys,

Installment V

I was able to do some work on the river a bit more today. I didn’t get to pour anything because after everything had dried I noticed there were areas that had not received any paint. I also had to individually paint some of the rocks and boulders because they were way too light.

Attachments

• sandbars_crude.jpg
    sandbars_crude.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 119

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
This pic shows what everything looks like after I painted the missed spots, touched up the boulders and blended the sand bars with the airbrush. I used a mixture of steam black, a few drops of boxcar red and a couple drops of dirt colored paint to do the blending between the banks and the deep areas. I used the boxcar red to give it a brownish coloring and the dirt to lighten it up.

I like the results, but I’ll probably tweak it some more.

Attachments

• sandbars_painted.jpg
    sandbars_painted.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 121
  • cobblesclose.jpg
    cobblesclose.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Chicopee-Holyoke_CT_river_water.jpg
    Chicopee-Holyoke_CT_river_water.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 119

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I went ahead and added some subsurface white water highlights, which I hope works out. I decided not to have rushing tail water from the turbine house. I decide to copy one that I saw in Holyoke, MA, which actually had a greenish tint.

Attachments

• subsurface_wwater_painted.jpg
    subsurface_wwater_painted.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Copy of tailrace wet canal.jpg
    Copy of tailrace wet canal.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 121

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Cont…from the other night.

These pics are from yesterday and today.

I piled on the fill this time. It’s a mixture of WS talus and ballast and was laid coarse first, medium next and then fine on top all the time letting it flow where it wanted to go. I did have to coax it into certain spots to make it look more real, but most of it was just left to fall where it wanted to. Standard 50-50 WG/H20 Dawn drop mixture applied with a dropper. I did not spray the whole thing down with wet water. I did not have any problems with the talus balling up, but that stuff seems like it’s made out of a porous plaster-like material that acts like a sponge, so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyways, this process went on without a hitch, except that I destroyed my painted water.

Actually, after viewing this picture later on, I noticed that if I had left the small WS talus stones where they lay in the water would probably look pretty good for a shallow run, but I have committed myself to the deeper water idea and really wanted to see how well it would look, so…

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 118
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 113

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I figured that that would happen, so getting to repaint the water area over some of the areas I wasn’t happy about made it all justifiable.

This picture was taken after I had cleaned up the mess and repainted the riverbed. The fill from the abutment to the stone out crops was thin washed and dry brushed with dirt colored paint to help lighten it up and bring out the details. The above pic shows the scene as being very light, but that is just the camera, settings. It was quite a bit darker than that. The pic below is more representative of what it looks like right now, but is a tad out of focus.

Attachments

• lighter.jpg
    lighter.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 111

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I made the turbulent water out of a blob of clear silicone sealant. I did not want to get too crazy with it, so I steered it through the lower spots in the rock outcroppings and left it alone after I flattened it out a little. I feathered it into the base board and applied a little stippling action to give it that splashy look just before it settles down in the pool.

Attachments

• turbulentwater.jpg
    turbulentwater.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 112

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Super job! Cant wait to see how the water turns out as I am about to add some water to my harbor scene. Very nice craftsmanship zedob. Stuart.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Zedob’s Layout Party

Installment VI

I’ve found that most things that are wet are darker in color, especially if the item has been wet for some time, like a boulder in a stream or a perpetually wet rock outcropping. It is for that reason I painted the lower 1/8 of the rocks that will be in touch with water a darker color.

Check out the pics below. The shot of the bridge and the “wet spot” in the arch is a prime example of the contrast between the wet and dry look. Also notice the effervescence, or the white salty stained areas. As prototypically prominent and as easy enough to model as it is, I’m surprised more modelers don’t add that detail.

Attachments

• 100004.jpg
    100004.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 91
  • water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 97
  • mill 054.jpg
    mill 054.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 100

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
NOTE: This post is out of sequence. It should be down a few posts.

I poured my first layer of Enviro-tex. NO LEAKS! I guess I sealed it well enough.

Attachments

• seal_job.jpg
    seal_job.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 90
  • seal_job_2.jpg
    seal_job_2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 90
  • dam_job.jpg
    dam_job.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 94

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Next thing was to make sure the whole thing was leveled. The level was cut from an old aluminum tri-square and works rather well in tight quarters. Luckily, I didn’t have to make a bunch of adjustments.

Attachments

• on_the_level.jpg
    on_the_level.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 103
  • on_the_level_2.jpg
    on_the_level_2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 94

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Freshly poured resin and smooth like glass. When they say this stuff climbs the banks and rocks, they mean it.

Attachments

• freshly_poured.jpg
    freshly_poured.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 95

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
After giving the resin some time to set-up I started to pick and poke it with a stiff piece of manila folder material to generate ripples. The first few tries were fruitless because the resin had not set up enough and the whole mess would level out to glass smooth, but after about 2 hrs and more P&Ping the ripples began to appear. There were a few times when I thought that I had screwed up by over doing it, but I would leave that area alone for a while and my mistake would miraculously disappear.

I planned on using the resin as a base and then applying gloss medium to create final and finer detail that would not be possible with the resin due to it’s wanting to level out even in a real tacky state.

Attachments

• teasing_2.jpg
    teasing_2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 158
  • working-it.jpg
    working-it.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 156