Zealot's first birthday

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yep, I do believe that today marks to first full year for Zealot. When the change took place, there was much controversy as well as praise. Some people didn't like sharing with other hobbies, others didn't like losing the recognition we has as "The Gauge". We even has a few that objected to the color changes. Well, I think we weathered those storms quite well, and we are a stronger group as a result. Some of these changes were necessary otherwise I doubt that this forum would exist today. Let's face it, The Gauge was so popular that we kept getting bogged down, and even kicked off of a few servers because we were so big. The same goes for the Card modelers forum. We even ran into problems where we had gotten low on storage, I remember those times and it wasn't fun.

We now have lots of bandwidth, gobs of storage and a bunch of features we didn't have a year ago. We have Peter Davis to thank for all this.

Thanks also goes out to all the members that share the enthusiasm for the hobby and that include us in their everyday life. I also think that the mods here deserve a round of thanks for their efforts in making Zealot and the Gauge what it is today.

N

nachoman

I was one that found the changeover a bit confusing. But I perservered, and attempted to learn how things were reorganized. Having the card modelers' input has turned out to be a real benefit. There are a few small changes from "The Gauge" that took a while for me to notice (such as allowing larger picture file attatchments), but now that I recognize them, I don't know how we did without.

As with life, I just hope I am giving as much or more to this forum as I am taking from it. The administrators and moderators here really do an excellent job keeping this place going, and deserve a huge round of applause! aussie:goldcup:

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Sorry to say that I missed it. I joined the forum about a year ago, so I didn't see any changes.

I do know that this is the 1st place I go when I have questions regarding any aspect of the hobby.

Happy Birthday to The Gauge aka Zealot!

George

CSXect

Dec 31, 2007
:thumb:balloon6bday1balloon6

I am relativley new here but I am impressed with this big forum and its other hobby counterparts as well. well done

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
I must admit I was one of the hard-heads who grumbled at the change. However, I humbly say it has turned out great! Good job boys!!! :thumb:
balloon6balloon6balloon6balloon6

col. kurtz

Sep 21, 2007
basildon,essex u.k
balloon6bday1balloon6:drag1::wave7:im glad i joined the forum made loads fof freinds and been able to learn..and share alot of tips and builds on the cardmodels side carnt wait to birthday no 2 :thumb:

CJTK1701

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
Happy Birthday!

Despite what some may not like, I think you've all got a wonderful place here.

It's great to have a home to come to, where people are treated decently and there's always room for the free expression of ideas and transfer of information.

I can say too that I've never ran across a more friendly and helpful group of people.

Keep on Trekkin!:thumb:

beamish

HO & Steam Engineer
Jan 11, 2007
Saskatoon,SK,Canada
YAY One whole year

Happy birthday tooo yooooouuuuu!
Happy birthday tooo yooooouuuuu!
Happy birthday to the Gauge!
Happy birrrrthhhhday tooooooooooooo yooooouuuuu!

And many more!!

sign1:thumb::thumb:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
So...It's been a year since many of us logged on and found something we'd never seen..??? I remember the dismay of many, confusion, and downright hostility....We bickered about the color, the name, the tabs, and everything in between....Some even left...But cooler heads prevailed (Peter's, for starters...) and I'm sure all the old hands and all the new comers find this to be the best MRR site around...hands down...!!!

So....Happy Birthday "Gauge"...May we all be around the next time it's anniversary time...!! And, of course, THANKS to all that make this possible.....You do a GREAT job...!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
A Year Already

WOW! A year has gone by already, seems just like yesterday these changes were made.
Thanks to all of the good people that keep this machine running so smoooth.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GAUGE bday1

Art Decko

Oct 26, 2006
Shanghai, P.R.C.
In a previous career I was an IT project manager, so I understand all too well the hazards of changing a system that people have adapted to.

Considering the limitations of resources involved (time, manpower, funds, hardware), I think the Zealot change-over was actually managed quite well. In this kind of operation there are always rough patches, unexpected challenges and the difficulties in dealing with the normal human resistance to change. Maybe the best way to judge the results of the change-over is to look at where Zealot is today. :thumb: :)

Congratulations to Peter, the mods, and everyone else involved!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't always come to the "caboose" forum. I usually have limited time to browse the Gauge, and this forum is a bit lower on my priority list than some of the others. I didn't realize that it has been a year. Great year! Here is hoping for many more.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put it this way, the Card Forum can be used to our benefit- I'm sure, somewhere there, there is someone designing a card house or building that we can adapt for our layouts.

We could even commision them to design one for us to build! :mrgreen:

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Congratulations!

Happy One Year Anniversary,

Apart from some minor glitches and kinks in editing posts and that old posts sometimes show up in pairs, I think the transition has been very smooth.

I feel very comfortable in the new forum now but I still like to think of it as the 'Cardmodels.net' forum. It´s great that the old link functions with the new Zealot forum, because I have given away lots of Cardmodels.net business cards at an IPMS meet, two years ago.

One thing I lack is the fine old Cardmodels.net 'logo' with the WW I Nieuport plane.

Keep up the good work,
Bengt :thumb: