Z Scale Coupler Mounting

railohio

In a new issue of Railroad Model Craftsman I picked up I saw an ad for the upcoming Micro-Trains GP9. The model didn't look right, however, and after a brief study of it I noticed that it had an awfully wide opening in the pilot. I also note that in the list of "features" the model has "truck-mounted couplers for reliable operation." I was under the impression that all serious modelers used body-mounted couplers on locomotives these days and in other scales most equipment aimed at the higher end buyers were so equipped. Now I see Micro-Trains, arguably one of the most expensive manufacturers out there, claiming that truck-mounted couplers are the way to go. Is there a difference with Z scale, possibly in the model's mass, that makes truck-mounted couplers on locomotives more reliable, or is this just their ad department trying to spin away a half-baked model?

~BS

C

Catt

These are just my thoughts about the truck mounted couplers on MTL's Z scale locos. "They've done gone and lost all their good sense"

I think they are lost in that N scale fog where every N scaler uses a 9 3/4" radius curve so there for Z scalers will all use a smaller one yet therefor the couplers have to be truck mounted. :confused:

If MTL would price their locos at a reasonable level some enterprizing basement business whiz could probly make a financial killing making pilot conversion kits for the MTL Z gauge locos. :mrgreen:

I do not understand the rational behind the Z scale manufacturers pricing of everything they make out of the range of most modelers who would buy the darn stuff.(yeah I'm one of those folks)

Ok,I'll get off the soapbox now.

Triplex

I think they are lost in that N scale fog where every N scaler uses a 9 3/4" radius curve so there for Z scalers will all use a smaller one yet therefor the couplers have to be truck mounted.
It's clear that Z was originally intended for situations where even a small N layout wouldn't fit. Originally, all Marklin Z equipment could handle a less-than-6" curve. Not surprising, considering much of their HO was designed for less than 15". Only in the later 1990s was Z scale equipment introduced that couldn't handle the super-sharp curves. Z had been treated as a toy, and it's still struggling to escape that image.

Honestly, I consider the whole appearance of the GP9 sub-par, especially when compared to the AZL GP7. It looks like a cheap N scale model from the 70s, with its excessive width and poor detail. I'm sure it runs better than those N engines - standards have changed - but it doesn't look like it.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
That could be MTL way off thinking.
"We can sell this model with truck mounted couplers. Real modelers will want body mount...So we'll make and sell those seperatly."
Just my reasoning...............