yuck taste.

Yuck, that's the last time I spray paint without better ventilation. Any idea how to get this taste out of my mouth? "scope", isn't even helping! Anyone ever do something dumb like this?

I was attempting to change seasons on the layout by spraypainting fall colors. I bought the type of paint that is used by florists. Results are so/so. I wasnt going to rip up scenery "again", so I tried this. Anyone have any luck doing this?

MCL_RDG

Gee csx...

...kinda reminds me of a few C*O*P*S episodes where they find paint huffers high on paint in a dark alley. That wasn't you was it???:eek:

I wouldn't recommend it in case a C*O*P*S taping session pulls up and breaks down your door. ;)

Mark

P.S. Apparently the choice to huff is Gold.:)

Zug

Not sure how to help you, but in the future assuming you live:p , get a 3M breathing mask. They in every paint store, dept, hardware, etc...

I have asthma and need to have they around.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi CSX,
Glad to see I'm not the only one who takes rash action in the name of the hobby now and then! As for spray painting in the basement, I've done it but with a few fans going on high to direct fumes upstairs (I do this during warm weather so I can have upstairs windows open to ventilate).
Get lots of air, avoid looking at the layout for a day or two, come back to it with fresh ideas (and lungs!).
Best wishes,
Ralph

jon-monon

Originally posted by jim currie
try two fingers of jose curvio that will kill the taste of anything:D

Kills the taste by killing the taste buds!!!!!

But guaranteed not to cause Dain Bramage! :D :D :D

Vic

"But guaranteed not to cause Dain Bramage! "

Read the label!! If it says....

"Safe for children".... It won't work
" Safe for the enviroment"....It won't work
"User Friendly"... It won't work

But if it says....
"Harmful or fatal if swallowed or inhaled. May cause permanent brain damage"....This will work...This is what you want!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

CSX.....Try rinising your mouth with tomato juice!!!...I'm serious!!

jawatkins

As someone before me mentioned, a 3-m mask is the best thing to do. I use autumn color spray paints all the time to do my autumn scenery. Fortunately, because I live in Texas, I can do mine in the garage any time of year or can take it outside. And, at this time, my display is very portable. However, I realize that if you are trying to change permantly attached scenery, that's not always possible. I would suggest that if this is in your basement, to also open the windows and use a fan to blow this out the window too (if you hadn't already thought of this).

Would like to see pictures of what you tried to change. I love doing scenery in autumn colors. If you get a chance, post some or if you already have, let me know where they are.

spitfire

Another thing I've done when forced to spray something in place is to hold the nozzle of the shop vac in your other hand while you spray. It won't pick up all the overspray but it does pick up about half of it. And if you just can't wait to go get a mask, use an old t-shirt tied over your mouth and nose. Again, not perfect but better than nothing.

Oh yeah, don't forget to turn the shop vac on!!!

cheers
Val

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Yipes!!!

Hi Val,

I don't know if this is the safest solution...

Make sure that the spraypaint is nonflameable, or else... Kaboom! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The motor in the shopvac may spark and ignite the fumes from the spraypaint if they become too concentrated. The Shopvac filters out some of the larger particles, but not the solvent/propellant vapour that is sometimes flameable.

A central vac is a better option, as long as it vents to the outdoors.

Another couple of options are a stove hood or bathroom exhaust fan.

Out with the bad air, in with the good.... Remember to open a window, or door to let fresh air in...

Originally posted by spitfire
Another thing I've done when forced to spray something in place is to hold the nozzle of the shop vac in your other hand while you spray. It won't pick up all the overspray but it does pick up about half of it. And if you just can't wait to go get a mask, use an old t-shirt tied over your mouth and nose. Again, not perfect but better than nothing.

Oh yeah, don't forget to turn the shop vac on!!!

cheers
Val

roryglasgow

I've never tasted spraypaint before... I spraypainted my hand by accident a few weeks ago, though...thought the nozzle was pointing the other way.

This reminds me of the time that my wife tried to kill me.

I'm not very coherent in the morning (and for much of the rest of the day). Anyway, one morning I reached for the mouthwash, poured a swig in my mouth and started to rinse...then realized what was in my mouth was definitely NOT mouthwash! It was Seabreeze! YUCK!!!!! My wife had left her Seabreeze next to the mouthwash... They were both the same color...they were both in the same area...so I'm convinced she was trying to knock me off! :)

On the other hand, I had a very clean mouth...

Vic

Re: Yipes!!!

Originally posted by TinGoat
Hi Val,

I don't know if this is the safest solution...

Make sure that the spraypaint is nonflameable, or else... Kaboom! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The motor in the shopvac may spark and ignite the fumes from the spraypaint if they become too concentrated. The Shopvac filters out some of the larger particles, but not the solvent/propellant vapour that is sometimes flameable.

THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE SPEAKS....NEVER LUBRICATE A DREMEL TOOL WITH WD-40...MAJOR SMOKE AND FLAMES:eek: BETTER THAN FIREWORKS ON THE 4TH OF JULY!!:eek: :eek: :D

jon-monon

Originally posted by roryglasgow
I've never tasted spraypaint before... I spraypainted my hand by accident a few weeks ago, though...thought the nozzle was pointing the other way.

This reminds me of the time that my wife tried to kill me.

I'm not very coherent in the morning (and for much of the rest of the day). Anyway, one morning I reached for the mouthwash, poured a swig in my mouth and started to rinse...then realized what was in my mouth was definitely NOT mouthwash! It was Seabreeze! YUCK!!!!! My wife had left her Seabreeze next to the mouthwash... They were both the same color...they were both in the same area...so I'm convinced she was trying to knock me off! :)

On the other hand, I had a very clean mouth...

I woke up at 2 a.m. coughing and gongested one night, stumbled to the bathroom, found the unopened, large supersized vicks 44D, and took a swig in the dark, not wanting to "wake up" too much and not sleep. Back to bed and slept like a baby until about 5 AM, when I woke up more awake than I had ever been in my life! I'm a slow riser too, so I was suspect of the 44D, went and looked , it was half gone! :O

billk

You guys are why there's so much reading material on labels anymore. Sometimes I'm not sure whether I should put my pill bottles in the medicine cabinet or on a bookshelf. :D

roryglasgow

Originally posted by billk
You guys are why there's so much reading material on labels anymore. Sometimes I'm not sure whether I should put my pill bottles in the medicine cabinet or on a bookshelf. :D

Where would the fun be in life without an occasional accidental poisoning?

I'll never forget when I discovered why you shouldn't take certain antihistamines with blood pressure medicine... I woke up at 2 in the morning and I was ready to build a bridge! (Not a model one, either!)