Your oldest loco

After reading Mastiffdog's latest amusing posts, I, too, was left wondering about some things. Who here has the oldest locomotive in service on their layout? I started with a Varney F9 and set when I was a kid. I still have the cars, but the locomotive is history. The next in line is my Atlas FP7, from about 1980. I've done a lot of work on it to keep it running, but it still runs with all the original parts. Probably has a hundred REAL miles on it!

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Flange,

I just (re) started in model trains after many, many years. Truly, I am glad I don't have any of the older locos. The newer items run so much better, with a few exceptions.

I started my layout in May this year and decided to go Digitrax DCC. So I ususally buy the DCC ready locos. Some of the brass runs like a swiss watch, I really like the way the W&R locos run.

If you haven't tried DCC, I recommend it.

Dog

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Well, I still have no layout :eek: but I have some old locomotives from my childhood. Several years ago, I sold almost all old stuff, but I maintained four locomotives from the french brand "Jouef". The oldest are this SNCF BUDD railcar and this electric SNCF CC7100, that I got the Christmas around 1972 and 1973.

Attachments

• budd&cc7100.jpg
    budd&cc7100.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 241

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I have a Athearn GP-7 that I got back in 1975..It still runs.All I had
to do to this unit was routine maintenance and replace the motor brushes twice..I have a Model Power RS11 that my late wife got me back in 76(still runs but not use) and I will mention I also have a MRC Tech II power pack that I also got in 75 it still works and I use it on my DC test track..The only letters left on this pack is MRC Tech II.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
My oldest loco was an F9, a Tyco model circa 1970. It was lettered for the Penn Central but painted an unrealistic green. The motor gave up the ghost long ago but I turned the loco into an unpowered unit that I now couple up with a working Athearn black F9 that I decaled with PC heralds.
Ralph

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My scratchbuilt boxcab electric is built on a modified Walther's gas electric from 1965. My Rivarossi cab-forward is numbered 4272 which puts it in the late 60s. There is a Varney 2 bay covered hopper from the 50s added to my roster today, saved from a soon to be trashed box lot.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I would have to say my oldest locomotive is an O gauge marx clockwork commadore vanderbuilt from the early 40s. or maybe the Unique Art set from the same era.
In HO I've got some late 50s era Athearn Hi-F F7s, GP9s and Hustlers. A John English 2-8-2, Pennline GG1, Varney F3, Mantua 0-4-0s, 4-4-0s, a 4-6-2 and a Marx 0-4-0Tand F3. I have some old wood and cardboard kits I'm not sure of their makers let alone their age.
As you can probably guess I'm more into model railroading of the past more than the new generation of model railroading. (not that there's anything wrong with that). It's whatever your into.

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
A Varney F-3 bought new as a kit around 1950. Now has the second motor, swapped from a Casy Jones. Still runs fine, a good puller if the grade is reasonable and the brass wheels are clean! Dave

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
Hope you don't mind an "S" guy crashing your party. I have an HO engine that i'll take a picture of and post later. Have to hook up the camera and see if i can get it to work.

Meantime, here's a photo of my American Flyer "Rocket" PA passenger set running at the Columbia GATS show. Got the set for Christmas 1961. It was made in 1954.

Regard'S',
Ted

Attachments

• tedsrocket2.jpg
    tedsrocket2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 260

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi again:
Took awhile to figure out how to get a still from teh video camera, then had to edit it a bit. Here's shots of an HO engine my uncle gave me when i was about 11 or 12, round about 1965/6. I think it once was an 0-8-0 but he'd modeled it into the 2-6-0 you see here. Gave it to me in an Athern 4-4-0 felt lined box but i'm pretty sure he just had the box sitting around. Ran it a few years back and it did ok. When i get around to building an HO layout i'll take it apart and rehab it proper.

Regard'S',
Ted

Attachments

• frntlf2.jpg
    frntlf2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 200

CN1

May 6, 2003
Sadly none of my childhood train sets have survive. Actually I can't remember what happen to them.

Nowadays my oldest loco is only 21/2 years old. It came from a cheap trains set. ABout $54.00 for the loco, 3 cars, 1 caboose, a circle of track and a cheap powerpack.

2 of the car survived into my layout, the power pack provides the juice for accessories and the loco got an upgrade: Decoder, new paint job and a tune-up (greased and lube) It's running ok.

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
My oldest locomotive that I know I have for sure is a Tyco F7 from around 1967. For a Tyco, it runs great. The oldest locomotive that I had was a Marx HO Hustler, similar to Athearn's, from the late 50's or early 60's. Then my pride and joy is my fleet of four Lionel U18B's from the first year they brought them out, in the mid 70's. Last time I ran them, they out pulled an Athearn U33C in a tug-o-war contest. They won't win any contests, but they sure move the freight. :D :D

Cool thread by the way.

Greg

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Okay, guys, I've got to weigh in on this one! The oldest loco still in service which I bought new was also my first HO loco, a Tyco Shifter from 1965 or 66. I must have saved my 25-cent-a-week allowance and birthday money for what felt like a year to buy it. Well, a few years ago, it got dismantled and overhauled. It now sports a Sagami motor, and the Cal-Scale brass on it cost more than the original loco. I ground off all the old detail and re-piped it. After a year or two of running, the original tender trucks wore out. The journal bearings wore into vertical slots! I now have a set of Precision Scale Co. tender trucks waiting to get the old girl up and running again!

But, then there is the matter of rolling stock. My dad was in the hobby briefly in 52-53 or so. In 1965, he gave me about 15 of his very meticulously built freight cars. So, I have metal Athearn, Varney, and Main Line cars now equipped with Kadee couplers and trucks--love those old kits! --Stu--

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by jon-monon
LOL - toss 'em my way, babe, I'm buildin' an empire outa junk.:D :D :D

That, for the most part, is how I've built up my roster. I just take what other folks sniff and pooh at and turn them into my treasures. Many times peoples drop off old train stuff at our club. Most of it is toy junk but there are some surprises. Two weeks ago someone dropped off a box of European stuff. The guys, knowing I just enjoy tinkering with model trains of any sort, gave the box to me last night. It is full of Marklin tinplate and some diecast as well. In the box, among other things, was this little beauty, now the oldest loco on my roster. It appears to be a DSB Class 01 4-6-2;

Attachments

• class 01.jpg
    class 01.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 97