You built the bench work, layed the subroadbed and perfected the track ... now what?

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Well, I have done all of this. So I am ready to run a loco with some rolling stock. My layout is DCC, so I am so excited to hook up two leads, with an 8x8 layout, two leads will power the whole thing. I am now running a few locos with different addresses.

Now I go into stall. I am not agressively installing my Tortoises, gapping my turnouts (Shinohara's require gapping), laying in my power busses and dropping feeders. I am just having too much fun running the trains. I find myself addicted to buying more locos and rolling stock.

How many of you were or are stuck like this? And, if so, how long did your layout sit this way before you took the next leap?

Dog

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Your not alone. That's about where I'm at now. Once I got trains running I'm just having to much fun.
My next step is to dissassemble the sections for painting and scenicing, that means no operating. Might be a while before I do that. When it happens it happens.

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Exactly Ray, I know the rut. Once you start the other stuff, the trains go back on the shelf begging to be run. Some of us don't have the patience, but I am learning. Nice layouts don't come easy, and I have learned that perfecting your track so it's bulletproof will make your layout 1000% more fun when the scenery is completed.

I continue to run my Genesis Mikado over and over again to ensure my track is cherry. Using the proper radius and straight templates on flex track (may be fundamental), really keeps that track nice through the curves and straights. The 5" piece keeps your turnout departures honest, so derailments are prevented. I have become sick over perfecting the track first before I start anything else, but now it's just and excuse to keep running those trains!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
This is not a problem. You are not in a rut.
This is what you've been working for! Running the trains is what it's all about.
My layout sat in that sort of state for about 5 years. Then the NMRA came to town and I had to get it looking respectable. You can now work out the problems like the Shinoharas, but slowly as they offend you.
Just make sure you have enough scenery to catch anything that falls off.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
What rut...unless you're getting paid for it. Run 'em 'til you're ready for the next round. I knew a modeler who never scenicked his layout, he just loved running trains and building the most beautiful benchwork you ever saw, furnture grade plywood, knot free lumber, just sweet. Had a flawless computer operated hump yard that could never have been built if he stalled himself in scenery.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,The next step for me would be to wire the blocks in the engine terminal(the only blocks on my small layout as I use DCC) and proceed with the ballasting..BTW I use ground throws so for me there is no need to wire any switch motors..Of course I operate my trains during this time..You know what they say-All work and no play? :D