Yogi's Sagan memorial station and Sojourner in 1/33 or somewhere in that size area..

• Thread starter Paper Kosmonaut
  • Start date
P

Paper Kosmonaut

Because I already did Yogi's Sojourner half the size, I decided to tackle his full Pathfinder set just one size smaller. After some confusing calculus I came out at this size that seemed just big enough to still be able to fabricate. :twisted:

Sojourner came out microscopically small. About roughly two centimeters in length. The base station was glued to thick paper quite similar to beer mats, just a little more felt-like in structure. It was about the right thickness for the petals and the base core. I saw the structure should be open, so I attempted to cut it out. The result was good enough for me.

The instruments on the cover box were really easy to handle in this size. For the antennae I used brass rods.

P

Paper Kosmonaut

next was the assembly of the petals to the core structure. Yogi has two hinge options, one easy and one a bit more realistic and complex. So I automatically chose the second option.
Again, I used some brass rods for the electromotor axles. I just am no paper purist...
(Also, I smuggled a bit because the axles aren't going all the way through, it isn't movable but cut to length and glued with a drop of CA.. - Hey, some things just don't work the way you want or, in this case, are unnessecary)

In the meantime I airbrushed a paper napkin in a kind of beige/tan/taupe colour to become the deflated airbags and I made a diorama surface from a system-ceiling plate. It's made of a kind of paper fibre stuff. I used little rocks I found and some kitty litter for rocks.

P

Paper Kosmonaut

The underside of the base station was detailed with the airbag cylinders but you won't see any of it in the final result.. But they're there!

I tore roughly round-shaped parts about 6 or 7 centimeters off off the napkin and folded, rolled and crumpled them until they looked like deflated airbags to me. I used four pieces. I carefully placed the base station upon the heap of airbaggy napkin stuff and glued the protruding bits to the surface.

And of course, Sojourner is there, too, paying a visit to its designer, Yogi.
The whole diorama is about 25x30 centimeters.

I hope you like it!

ovation

Jun 27, 2009
Is Yogi to an acurate scale too :mrgreen:
What can I say .. but simply incredible (if a little too small :eek: )

JJ-UK

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Well, JJ, I would like to think that Yogi's about the right size. I tested Sojourner with a couple of different rocks and this one seemed to fit the shape and size quite well. At least from the photo-angles.
Most of the bigger rocks I placed in the dio are about the size and place where the real rocks are. Only the smaller ones are fantasized to fill the landscape a bit more and to give it a bit more bustle. And thanks for the compliment. (-;

P

Paper Kosmonaut

Thanks for all the generous comments, everyone. It's appreciated a lot! :wave:
(coming up next: Voyager 1 Space probe in 1/48th)