Yet another removable Eoad

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I've had this thot rattlin around in my holler noggin fer quite sum time, then this morning, I saw it fer sale in Walthers. Well I guess I won't be a millionare this week, hmmm? Anywho, just take sum a momma's aluminium foil and crumple it up into little balls, then mash it down on the table to make flat sides, to get a finished size of about 2 to 4 scale feet, rectangular cubes, but not real nice and square and even, kinda random. Geometrics shape. Polygons, gollygons and wigawams. That's what they look like when they come into Cobblers knob, headed to or from Alcoa. The Walthers ones are nice and square, and much bigger, but that's not what they look like here. I'll get a picture some day.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Jon,
I always like hearing about easy and cheap ways of simulating objects for model railroading. I've been thinking about adding a junk yard with crushed cars stacked on top of each other. Maybe several pieces of flattened, crumbled, painted foil under one or two cheap plastic cars would create a convincing image.
Thanks for the idea!
Ralph

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Ralph
I have never tried this, but I've been thinking about it.
For your crushed cars- Take the aluminum foil and using a plastic car as a mold per say, and wrap the car with the foil. Make sure you press the foil into all the contours of the car body. Then gently remove the plastic car and you have a shape of a car in foil.
Paint it up alittle bit and flatten the roof so you can't tell it has window's or glass.
Just another nutty idea I've got floating in my head.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Marty

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's another idea for using foil as pertaining to scrap/junk yards...
A lot of scrap facilities now shred the scrap, instead of crushing it into bales.
This material always comes out as shiney, new-looking metal, which is then shipped to steel, & other metal manufacturers
You could represent this material by simply shredding some foil with a hobby knofe, or some other method. Perhaps some type of silver-colored Christmas tinsel could be used also.

p.s. Jon...Sure wud luv t'see pitchers o' somma dem dare eoads youse makin'! :D ;) :p

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Another Unusual Eoad

Jon's idea of the crushed metal made me think of another unusual "eoad" that passes thru here. I won't ever model this but some body might want to try it.

Occasionally, a southbound NS train will pass thru here with nothing but gondola cars loaded with tree stumps. One day the train was on a siding near my house and my curiosity got the best of me. One of the crew members was standing beside the last car of the train and so I pulled over and asked him about it.

He told me that the stumps were on the way to the Hurcules Powder Co. in Brunswick, Ga. where they are ground up and the cellulose is extracted from them for making blasting powder.

He also told me the the train was called "The Rattlesnake" because when the stumps are dug up whole the rattlesnakes that live under them get loaded up with the stumps. With that he produced a hammer from his belt and beat on the side of the car with it. You should have heard the snakes rattling in there!!! He didn't know what becomes of the snakes though!!!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Satokuma,
Yeah, that's the ticket! Looks good!

Charlie,
Thanks for the description of the shredded scrap metal. Wouldn't have occurred to me that it would be shiny.

Vic,
Man, that's a weird story!
Ralph

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Re: Another Unusual Eoad

Originally posted by Vic

He also told me the the train was called "The Rattlesnake" because when the stumps are dug up whole the rattlesnakes that live under them get loaded up with the stumps. With that he produced a hammer from his belt and beat on the side of the car with it. You should have heard the snakes rattling in there!!! He didn't know what becomes of the snakes though!!!

...And the guy with the least senority gets to put on a pair of hip waders and gloves, and is sent into the car with a shovel once its all unloaded.:D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Satokuma - purdy durned realistic! MAybe a little paint here and there...

You guys might try wadding up the foil, unwadding it, sprayin it with brown or black paint, then immeadiatly wiping it off, then you have old metal. The other color could probably be used as a 2nd coat. They sent me to Sunday school when I was a tyke, didn't do any good, and we learn't how to do that. Only two of my teachers turned away from religion. 1 is in prison. 1 disappeared. 1 turned to the bottle. And one flew over the cookoo's nest, no wait, that was a regular school teacher. Yep, I'm edumakated good!

satokuma

Jul 8, 2002
Tualatin, OR
Just had a thought...I used to do home brewing...used heat shrink foil for the tops...worked with hair blower...foil would wrap tight and show all the detail....then could just cut way. Came in bunch for a few dollars...fill up the junk yard in no time.