yellow tape on decoders

SR39

I am installing Digitrax decoders in my SD35's. I noticed that there is yellow tape on one end of the decoder. Is that supposed to remain on the decoder? This is the first time I have installed decoders. The instructions said nothing about leaving it.

steamhead

I've installed several D'trax decoders on my locos, and don't recall seeing any yellow tape. Whereabouts is this tape..?? If this is a "hard wired" decoder (not plug & play) could it be used just to keep the wires from getting tangled up during shipping & handling..??

ytter_man

It might also keep some things on the circuit board from shorting out on metal frames. You could probably remove it carefully, and use something else to insulate the area the decoder is installed in.

SR39

These are plug n play. The tape is on the end opposite where the light shroud is. I think it is to protect from possible heat and short on the frame. Digitrax tech support said the manual should tell whether to remove it or not. The manual does not address it at all. I figure that if they were shipped that way it must mean to leave it on. Anyhow, what harm could it do to leave it on. Thanks for the replies.

mfm37

The yellow tape is Kapton tape. It's provided to wrap the frame areas noted in the included instructions. Don't leave it on the decoder unless the instructions say to do so. It will retain heat and could cause the decoder to fail before its time.
You can save any extra tape by sticking it to the plastic bag the decoder came in. Kapton tape is and excellent insulator and it's very thin.