YAST - Dental Tools Are Your Friends!

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by rlwhitt, Oct 4, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

YAST = Yet Another Scoring Tool

I think medical/dental tools have been discussed in this section in the past, but all the pictures seem to be gone, so I can't tell if I'm duplicating effort here...

I bought the 2 tools in the attached picture at a flea market years ago for ship modeling work.

I have found the bottom tool to be perfect for scoring using the "sharp" side (it's really not that sharp, but it's quite thin) and the ball side is good for burnishing and I'd guess would probably be handy for embossing. The upper tool is quite good for scraping excess glue and grabbing onto hard to reach stuff and pulling (Probably make a killer tooth pick too, I'd think ;) ).

I tried to source these via google seaching to no avail (these may be old), but found that lots of these sorts of tools often show up on Ebay and go for pretty reasonable $$.

I suppose you could ask your dentist where to get them as well. The "scoring tool" has this stamped on it: "MADE BY STAR * DENT IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA STARLITE 34 BUR"

Attached Files:

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Whip out the Dremel, turn it on high, and I guess you could just have the house all to yourself..........:twisted:
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

OK, that's a bit weird... ;)

Actually, odd you should mention Dremel, ask the dog in my avatar up there and she'll tell you about dremel tools. That's what I use to trim her nails!

4. sdhlaw1701

sdhlaw1701 New Member

Those instruments are indeed old. The pointed instrument looks like it is either a scaler which is used in cleaning the teeth or it is a margin trimmer, which is used in preparing a tooth for placing a filling. The other tool, with the pall at the end looks like an old style burnisher for amalgam (silver filing). I hope this helps for those who want to ask their dentists to donate one. :)
  5. sdhlaw1701

sdhlaw1701 New Member

Those instruments are indeed old. The pointed instrument looks like it is either a scaler which is used in cleaning the teeth or it is a margin trimmer, which is used in preparing a tooth for placing a filling. The other tool, with the pall at the end looks like an old style burnisher for amalgam (silver filing). I hope this helps for those who want to ask their dentists to donate one. :)