yard equipment

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Hi all:wave:
I saw these at the "new" ( used to be a full blown yard with roundhouse ) BNSF car repair facility in Auburn, Wa. I am sorry the pics are not better, but I had to park across the street to take pictures and used my el-cheapo camera.
The fist one I have no idea why they did this, but it would be neat to model. The front of the gondola is on a ramp with the truck attached and the rear has the truck removed and the car sitting on the ground.
The second piece of equipment looks like they used to pick up scrap rail? But a pink gondola?

Loren

Attachments

• HPIM0848 006.jpg
    HPIM0848 006.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 91
  • HPIM0855 013.jpg
    HPIM0855 013.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 35

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Maybe its from Lionel's "Pink Train Set", from the fifties.

Actually, it maybe MOW equipment(judging from the car topper), and painted pink(or another color that faded) to distinguish it from gondolas used in revenue service.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
To me it look's like an old Kansas City Southern Gon that was painted red with the "stop sign" herold and marking's that I believe were in yellow but I don't see a single trace of any of the reporting marks but the faded pink look's to be what used to be red long ago. As for the gon sitting on the ground on one end. They noramally do this with an old car and turn it into a loading ramp for rail equipment. They also use flat car's for this and even use flat car bodies to make bridges in some places.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't know why that first gon would be parked like that with one truck missing unless it is some sort of ramp. If it is an old mill gon with ends that drop down, they may drop the ends to use it for a ramp to load or unload those auto racks. That is just a guess.

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
I wish I could have taken a better picture. The gon is actually sitting up on a ramp already. Unless the ramp is to steep for whatever they are doing?

Loren