Yamaha YZF-R1 (blue color)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendigo

New project: the YZF R1
Paper: 160gsm
*Little advice: find a PDF editor and rearrange the parts space-efficiently - the original sheets are organized to make the building easier but it's a waste of paper in my opinion.

I will be using as few of the original tabs as possible and relay on interior tabs (butt joining).

The building will go in the order from the instructions sheet.

Front Cowl
I found the instructions giving too little information as to how the part A1 look like that's why I added some photos from different angles.
Picture 018.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

Picture 022.jpg
I'm not finished with this part as it needs some filler on those gaps and some painting there.

zealousy

wow the R1 was my first ever papercraft :) Actually I built two. One as per the intended model and another Streetfighter spec without the cowlings and a new paint job. And I'll probably build another one just for the fun of it! Vary cool model and glad to see you building it! You've done a great job so far! like the clear screen!

Wendigo

Steering

So far I thought I'm doing well
Picture 013.jpg

until I realized some holes were smaller - corrected below
Picture 014.jpg

Here's a dry fit (well something close to that - only the handles are glued)
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 017.jpg

sjsquirrel

Looking fabulous Wendigo. I haven't tackled one yet, but I will definitely be building one of these kits someday. With a detailed build thread like this one to use as reference I may just have to give preference to this particular model.

Keep up the great work,

SJ

Wendigo

Side stand

I read in a post that it would look "sweet" if the model would have a pivoting one
Picture 018.jpg
I will use a .6 mm zinc wire bended after a twisted S shape, parts c-9 and c-10 and also in the picture are the tools used to bend the wire.The blue line shows where the wire ends.

Here the wire is inserted inside part c-9. With the tweezers the bended end of the wire is inserted through the holes made in both of the parts:Picture 019.jpg

:curse:wall1 I made a mistake:
Picture 020.jpg
The small end is bended in the wrong side - it should be in the other side (mirrored, the red line represents the right way).

When closing the part c-10, glue should be applied only on the margins carefully not to glue the wire. The picture shows the moment before closing it:
Picture 021.jpg

And finished
Picture 022.jpgPicture 023.jpg

Wendigo

Hmmm...

Here are the parts for this step BUT...
Picture 026.jpg
c7/c8 came out twisted:cry:. Time for some "plastic surgery":
Picture 027.jpgPicture 028.jpg

Decided not to build Frame1 yet. I will build the engine and then the frame around it.

Frame 2
Attention is needed when gluing so that it's not twisted.
Picture 029.jpgPicture 030.jpgPicture 031.jpg

zealousy

Had the same problem with the frame. It helps if you used lighter paper for the frame. That way you'll be able to manipulate the shape around the engine if the frame doesn't come out right. And getting the frame right is quite difficult. Even the smallest twitch will distort the whole thing...Your build is looking so clean :) keep it up!

Wendigo

Under Cowl

Had the same problem with the frame. It helps if you used lighter paper for the frame. That way you'll be able to manipulate the shape around the engine if the frame doesn't come out right.

I thought I was careless when I scored, bended and glued the tabs:eek:ops:.Oh, well...

On to the next:
Picture 034.jpg

Picture 058.jpg

Picture 057.jpg

Picture 056.jpg

Picture 055.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.