XP 55 Ascender

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Billy Leliveld, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

So, I put the skin-parts together, to avoid fitting-problems..

Attached Files:

2. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Only to find out that it doesn't fit in an another place

Attached Files:

3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Wow - I'm finding it surprising that a kit printed in 2005 would have this many fitting issues. Your model is still coming along nicely and I believe you will have something to show for it when done - but it sounds like it could be a lot easier on you getting there...
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

It looks as if it is a computer-generated model, surprising to find so much misfits... Anyway despite all that your model still looks great!
  5. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

I don't know, but there's something wrong with this model, maybe the designers had a hangover , or there was something wrong with the scanner, or the computerprogram they used, I can't figure it out, it still has beautyfull details, if only they would fit...
    cheers, Billyaussie
  6. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Did the wings.. looks OK..

Attached Files:

7. hemingway

hemingway New Member

Hi Billy,

it is quite astonishing for me, how good you are in compensating the faults of the kit!
    Keep on your good work! :thumb:

Bernhard
  8. I have had trouble finding the right glue to fasten the clear canopy film to the paper. Nothing seems to stick and I end up with a smeared mess that comes apart. Very frustrating to cut out all the openings for the canopy several times only to have it ruined trying to glue it to the film. Suggestions?
  9. Fred Bultman

Fred Bultman Member

I have found that only superglue will work. Great perserverence on your part despite the poor fit.
  10. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I have a clear drying glue I picked up in the 'stick and tissue' section of my local hobby store that works well. I'll take a pic of the bottle and link it up sometime this weekend (I don't remember the brand).
  11. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Hello Tim, When I glue canopies I use this stuff, I bought it in a model-shop here in Holland, but it's from America, so it must be available over there, It's called Clear parts cement & window maker from Model master
    It becomes clear when it dries
    www.testors.com

Attached Files:

12. josve

josve Active Member

Hello Billy!!

Really a nice build so far! The fit problem is another issue.
    I discovered something the other day when I was reading some translated instructions from GPM on a plane I have plans to do......and there it said" formers have to be cut on the INSIDE of the black outline!!" And in my case that usually means 1mm totally!! I always cut parts on the outside and rarely in the middle of the outline.This issue is defenately something to think about since 1mm here and there can be the difference of failure and success!!
  13. dansls1

dansls1 Member

JOZR5007 JOZ SUPER RCZ56 GLUE
    Her's what I'm using for cockpits. It's a white paste material, not too bad to work with using a toothpick and it dries completely clear.
  14. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Hello Johnny,
    You've got a point there, but this model has more problems, I noticed when you build a model of Nobi, you better cut away the black lines, then you have a better looking and fitting model, but with this one the lines are so thin, less than 0,05 mm,they disapear when you cut them..
    To fill the gap between the wingroots at the bottom I printed the scan I made, and cutted some banana-shaped parts to cover the 4mm gap

Attached Files:

15. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Did the wheels from polystyrene...

Attached Files:

16. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

I just finished the XP 55...
    It doesn't look that bad, but I have some mixed feelings about this kit, The fitting problems should'nt be that big for a model from 2005, probably computer-assisted design. It would help if the instructions where more detailed, So here's my advice; If this one is on your "to do list", just put it on the bottom.... (and leave it there for a while)

Attached Files:

17. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

The difference between my build of Nobi's XP-54 is that, even though Nobi's design is not that detailed as the Orlik-models, it was so much fun to add more detail to it, building the XP 55 you are just solving problems, which should not be there... I guess it is just this model, not that long ago Flutecrank build the ME 163, from Orlik and he apperently had no problems..
    BTW, the models are not the same scale..
    Signing off,
    Cheers, Billyaussie

Attached Files:

18. josve

josve Active Member

I just think you did a great job there Billy!!
  19. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

Thanks, Johnny, here's another pic..

Attached Files:

20. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

And one more..

Attached Files: