XB-70 Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Billy Leliveld, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

This one is for Al White..
  2. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

This one is for Al White..

Attached Files:

3. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

B-52 bombing run

Billy:

Your Valkyrie is beautiful. The pedestal is not authorized for modelers under age 21 in my state.

Bowdenja:

Your comment about B-52 bombing runs reminds me of the bad old days in RVN. A three-pack ran a mission near our fire support base. It was unforgettable. The noise and the concussion. No one could live through that. And the craters they left were more like huge, deep round swimming pools when seen from the air.
  4. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

B-52 bombing run

Billy:

Your Valkyrie is beautiful. The pedestal is not authorized for modelers under age 21 in my state.

Bowdenja:

Your comment about B-52 bombing runs reminds me of the bad old days in RVN. A three-pack ran a mission near our fire support base. It was unforgettable. The noise and the concussion. No one could live through that. And the craters they left were more like huge, deep round swimming pools when seen from the air.
  5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Billy,

That's got to be the best picture I've ever seen of the B-70. You can almost see it riding its shockwave.

Steve Austin
  6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Billy,

That's got to be the best picture I've ever seen of the B-70. You can almost see it riding its shockwave.

Steve Austin
  7. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening N810,

Looking forward to your pix, and commentary about the build.

Steve Austin
  8. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

I had some problem finding an A3 scanner ,here in Rotterdam, so I just had it photocopied in black and white .
    The collor is only the blue in the marking and the red stipes at the back, so that was not a real problem...
    Good luck with your build, I think it's one of the most beautifull models I've build sofar...
    Cheers,Billy
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Billy

I scanned my XB-70 kit also, as the color was yellowing somewhat and I preferred it to be a white aircraft. But not having access to a large scanner, I scanned it in three parts and stitched each of the three pages together.

Worked well, and with the model in digital form, I was able to add and change things on the model. My only problem now has been finding a printer large enough to print the kit to 1:100 scale.
  10. drwrist

drwrist New Member

Hi, guys.

Gotta get my two cents in on this discussion.

First; Mr. Liliveld, let me also offer my compliments on your XB-70. Beautiful job on a beautiful airplane. I have two copies of the same model. I am going to build one, eventually, and carve up the other one to scan for spare parts.

I have the pattern for the rather simplistic version discussed at the begining of this thread. I liked that it is a relatively clean model without a lot of extra lines that would not be visible, in that scale. I was not happy with the boxes that comprise the landing gear, so I started designing my own. I started from the shapes outlined on the bottom and drew some standard, if generic, gear (even though there was nothing standard or generic about the Valkyrie).

Then I looked at many the pictures I have aquired from the web. Oops. Should not have done that. I got them completely wrong. So I started drawing again. Now I have 4 or 5 hours in this model, and have not cut a single part. Then I thought I needed to see how a couple of things go together. So I started building. This is my first cardmodel. (I started by wanting to build Ralph Currell's Spaceship One. Still way over my head.)

When I finish the model, I will go back to work on the gear and probably redraw the exhaust area, too.

As my nod both to aviation whimsy and my own aviation mechanic background, I am leaving a coffee cup with my squadron insignia in the wheel well, a screwdriver in the exhaust area and a snakebite on a gear door. None of them will be visible, except perhaps as specks, but I will know that they are there.

I have nothing to say about the BUFF. Except maybe this; anything that can ruin the afternoon of that many bad guys at once, can never be ugly in this old jarhead's eyes.

Finally; Ashrunner, I cannot BELIEVE you called my beloved F-4 Phantom "ugly"! That is what a warplane should like like. I had the great and good privilege of having a couple pass by me one day at the HSL Det line at NAS Cubi Point back in 1979.

They were huge and brawny. Like tanks with wings. All engine and anhedral. possibly one of the prettiest planes I ever saw. And trust me on this; you do not want the guy driving that monster angry with you. That is a MAN's aircraft.

The only thing missing is the big, hairy, Herculean testicles hanging off the back. Those are in the cockpit.

Big nards come with the title "U.S. Marine". Though, to be honest, brains are considered optional.

Phantoms? Ugly? I think not.

All the best,

The Dr.
  11. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I not only called it "ugly" I called it Double Ugly! 8v) First time I ever heard the term was as I was heading toward an F-4E with flight suit on, helmet under my arms and the largest smile anyone could have on their face. I was going to fly in the back seat. As we approached the aircraft, the pilot for the flight turned to me and said, "You ready to kick Double Ugly in the ass?" I said, "Double what?" He said, "Double Ugly...you're gonna fly it, you can call it that." Well the flight wasn't to be. The crew chief red X'ed the bird and spent the rest of the day very depressed. About three months later, my chance came again and I jumped on it. Different pilot, but he also called the Phantom Double Ugly. The F-4 in my opinion is just as you said, what a fighter plane should look like.

Cubi Point eh? I was at Clark until two days before it closed. Not the same as Cubi Point or even Subic Bay in the 70s, but it was still an assignment I'll never forget. Check http://zcap.freeyellow.com/Wrath/afury.html for the final days of Clark.

As for the BUFF...what can I say. It and the F-15...the two finest modern aircraft ever designed...in my opinion.
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

F-4 Big........... Smoking............ Mean........... just needed a gun. It was ugly when it was in a MiGs mirrors.

BUFF still ugly:grin: Heavy hauling baby...........but......... ugly.:grin: Sorry Ash:grin:

But you guys know ugly ain't bad............... I've been that way all my life!:grin:

I bet the Dems are going to make em last another 50 years?:cry:

john
  14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I just bought the Bomber CD from FG, which includes the BUFF. I grew up not far off the flight line of Bergstrom AFB, and used to watch the F4s and B52s fly over all the time. Best looking bunch of uglies I can think of

I want to try and modify the FG B52 model into an EB52 from the Dale Brown "Dreamland" novels. Concorde type nose, F18 type tail structure, etc.... It'll probably be ugly since I'm not a designer, but it'll be cool if I pull it off....

[​IMG]
  15. diamondback

diamondback Member

MOS95B, some B-52/Old Dog tech data.

First, the FG BUFF's a hybrid, it's a F-and-before tail mated to a -G/H rear fuselage, and the nose looks more -G/H than pre-G.

Second, the photochops for Brown's cover art show two standard G/H tails in an F-117-style arrangement.

Good luck, sir! You're gonna need it... I'd be interested, and would ask you to send Chip some info. Might wanna let Dale Brown know some of us are trying to translate his ideas into 3-d, too, he seems to appreciate fan mail.
  16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Y'know what?? Too much info... lol!!!

I know it will never look like what he intended, as I will have to work with what I have (parts and talent). I kinda figured on creating the nose myself, as it is a simple cone. As for the tail, I am building the X-15 Launch BUFF now. I figured I would look at the normal Vert Stabilizer, and see how it would look doubled, and then scal apprpriately.

If it comes out halfway decent, though, I will definitely send a sht to Mr Brown. I love his books!! I have almost every one, except the last few Dreamland novels, and I couldn't begin to guess how many times I've read them.....

But seriously, thanks for the info. Gives me some research material to try and get it as accurate as possible.