X-15 Design and Build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Just when I think this design and build can't get any better, it does. Great work on the seat. Looks so realistic that I'd want to make sure it was "safed" before I got anywhere near it....
  2. exzealot

exzealot Member

Tonight I edge painted the seat and added belts.

I especially like the last picture.

Ken

Attached Files:

3. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

It's just awesome to see the amount of detail you packed in such a small area.
  4. jofree41@comcast.net

jofree41@comcast.net New Member

Great Job on your X-15 it looks fantastic!!! I think if you fueled it up it
    can do some Machs. :thumb:
  5. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

wwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Nice, very nice

John John
  6. dhanners

dhanners Member

Ya know, from time to time I've chirped in on this thread with kudos and suggestions, but this model is now entering the realm of something very special. Maybe I'm projecting here, but I think sometimes we in cardmodeling have an inferiority complex when compared to our plastic-modeling cousins, as if we feel our models don't quite measure up in some way. Not to get too esoteric or to put too fine a point on it, but I think Ken's X-15A-2 has the possibility of being one of those transcendental models in our hobby, one that is so well-designed and builds into such a fine model that it truly sets a new standard of quality.

Just thought I'd offer that observation....
  7. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

8. voyager76

voyager76 New Member

I totally agree with Dhanners. This model is absolutely awesome. The ejection seat alone is itself a great piece of collection.

I think that when available, this model will be a must-have for all aviation enthusiasts.

Great job ! :thumb:
  9. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all,

I am delighted with the response I am getting from this thread. It's been a lot of work, but well worth the time spent. I am not that experienced as a builder, so this model should do even better in the hands of the many talented builders on this forum. I agree with David, paper modeling doesn't get the exposure it really deserves. I also believe we have not yet reached the potential of paper modeling.

It's Friday night, so I decided to kick off the weekend by designing the helium ball and tail cone. The tail box is not yet installed; just loosely sitting there for the camera. Spherical parts are not easy. My design of the helium ball is for the paper model "purists". A 5/8 inch diameter wooden ball will work much better for those wanting a better looking model.

Tomorrow, I'll be tackling the speed brakes (in the open position of course).

Thanks for your kind support!

Ken

Attached Files:

10. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all,

I finished the speed brakes. I noticed as I was taking pictures that the hydraulic actuators are glued in backwards! DRAT! Oh well, nobody will know the difference. I was wondering why the door brackets were splaying as I was fitting the cylinders in.

ALMOST FINISHED! Here is what is left to do:

Ball nose
    Finish cockpit details
    Various pitot tubes...
    Jettison drain tubes in the back

Looks like I'll make it by Christmas.

Ken

Attached Files:

11. dhanners

dhanners Member

I ran out of superlatives a long time ago on this build. That said, amazing job.
  12. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Day after day I followed the build thread of this model and this made different this Christmas eve. Now that we have reached the end, knowing that every morning (I'm living in Europe) there don't will be more news , makes it a little sad :cry:, but knowing that now I can buy this beautiful model, that makes me happy :mrgreen:. About speed: you have done this model in a hurry and in the meantime you also drawn it! I employ three times the time to build models more simple and the results are very far away from yours.

My compliments for Your mastery. :thumb:

What about the F-84G Thunderbolt?

Another question: do You planning to add in the future the two External tanks and the little trolley to support the rear of the vehicle?

Do You remember.... :rolleyes:

Best, Nando :wave:
  13. josve

josve Active Member

Brilliant Ken!! Just brilliant!!
  14. exzealot

exzealot Member

Nando,

Cdavenport is building the beta F84-G, but I don't know how well that is going. I am working on the instructions now. I got so wrapped up in the X-15, that the Thunderjet kind of suffered for awhile.

As for the X-15, the problem with the external tanks is that my model depicts the landed version (which didn't have tanks).

I am hoping that I can do a rollout version with the trolley and tanks. I also plan to do design the short version of the X-15 with the XLR-11 engines.

Ken
  15. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Thank You Ken, but, you know, when we tasted a good delicacy, the appetite grows and we would like to eat more and more.

Your model is beautiful and It is a piece of art, but I fell in love for this subject and in particular for the version depicted in the cover of the "Hypersonic" book, so color full and mighty under the wing of the B-52... Let me dream for Your enhancement ...

Thank You, Nando

Attached Files:

16. exzealot

exzealot Member

Nando,

Thanks for the kind words. They are encouraging, and lets me know I am on the right track.

The X-15 is getting close to completion. Maybe one more day..??..

Attached are pictures of the completed cockpit.

I made some slight changes is the seat ie; the stripes on the yellow handles. Also, note the buttons on the joystick. The side button is as small as the end of a toothpick. I had to fold it over the edge of a #11 blade!

Ken

Attached Files:

17. exzealot

exzealot Member

More Progress!!

The attached pictures show the LOX vents and jettison tubes. Also, I added a few fittings to the motor ring.

The first picture shows the unpainted ball nose. I cheated: It's plastic, but the final kit will include parts for a paper nose for the "purists".

The only things left to do:

Pitot tubes

6 APU drain tubes

Canopy hinges, lights, and struts.

I can see the checkered flag! :thumb:

Ken

Attached Files:

18. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Ken,

The design, build and finish on this model is mind blowing.
    In my eyes it's been the next great thing to come along since Kooklits U-Boat model.
    Thanks for sharing it all. Truly masterful!
  19. exzealot

exzealot Member

To all the X-15 fans out there who have been watching and waiting, the finished model has finally arrived. The final pictures will be shown in this and the next 2 threads.

Of particular note:

The APU exhaust ports (tiny little boogers)
    The canopy struts (and look closely for the strut brackets)
    The 2 pitot tubes (one on top - one on bottom)

I really enjoyed this design and build of the X-15; one of the greatest and most significant aircraft ever flown. Thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions and correction requests - it truly was a fun project - and I plan to make it available on ecardmodels for a very modest price so that cost won't be an issue for those wanting to build this. After all, it's your ink! (and lots of BLACK).

Enjoy!!!

Ken

Attached Files:

20. exzealot

exzealot Member

The second set of pictures...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.