WWII Pilots - Posable, Multiscale

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I'm breaking this design thread off of the main Paper Protagonist thread, as several members who may have not had an interest in prior projects in the Protagonist line of figures may in fact be interested in this new design. This also allows me to fork design comments and suggestions relative to this series.

I've been keenly following many of the build threads of WWII fighters since I have started paper modeling, and have finally worked up the courage to build one of my own. However, I hate to see an unoccupied cockpit. Fortunately, having a figure skeleton design already, I can readily adapt it to suit. As such, I present the first in this series: the RAF pilot.

RAF-001.jpg

RAF-007.jpg

RAF-006.jpg

RAF-005.jpg

RAF-003.jpg

RAF-004.jpg

As with my other figures, much of the detail will be laminate, rather that textures. The figures are fully posable, and the hips for this figure will incorporate a newer more realistic design. I intend to offer with this figure full flight gear (helmet, radio, mask, webbing, life jacket, parachute (pack only) as well as a number of uniform options, including the combat jacket shown, the uniform 'dress' jacket, the overcoat, cold weather jacket, gloves, airman and officer hats, and boots. I will also release all uniform elements in the tropical coloring. As with my other figures, this will be released in 1:50 and 1:35, both of which are easy enough to modify to obtain most common scales.

I am not, nor have I ever been in the RAF (although my grandfather served in the RCAF). While I attempt to be diligent in my research, I expect some things will be incorrect. I mean no disrespect if any of the design elements fall short in terms of accuracy. In fact, I would greatly appreciate constructive feedback while this design develops.

I expect this will take a few weeks to complete, then another week (or more) to lay out and make instructions.

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Irvine Jacket. Hard to see in the model but it is designed to be fully opening (the combat jacket shown above does as well). There is a fully textured interior to the Irvine 'body' so leaving it open is an option. From what I can find, the Irvine was worn over the combat jacket, but there is just not enough room in the lamination planning to model that correctly, so if you are planning on leaving the Irvine jacket mostly closed, I would recommend omitting the combat jacket.

RAF-009.jpg

RAF-008.jpg

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Flying helmet, face mask and communication gear. There are so many variants, some with straps surrounding the helmet, some with straps attaching, that I have tried to accommodate all. They are laminate in any case, so judicious trimming should achieve whatever look you are going for. I've not modeled the hose, and may not. I find small bendable components rarely look good out of paper. I would advise thick thread or wire.

RAF-010.jpg

RAF-011.jpg

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Well, now that my PC is back from the shop, setup and most of my major-use programs reinstalled, I've finally taken some time to get this figure reworked to where I was when the computer crashed. Thankfully I had most of it backed up.

Not much to see extra; Boots and Gloves mostly. I have five major elements to complete and then it should be ready for testing: greatcoat, uniform jacket, uniform hats, floatation device, and a parachute. If I'm feeling ambitious I might make/release a fully opened parachute to go with it.

RAF-012.jpg

RAF-013.jpg

RAF-014.jpg

RAF-015.jpg

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Alright, this part took a lot longer than I expected; mostly because of my unfamiliarity with the subject. So, here I present my interpretation of the Irvine seat-type parachute, as used by the RAF fighter pilots. I expect I've made some errors, and this is in some ways an amalgamation of the design. I honestly did not expect the sheer variety of different variations of this type of 'chute in use during that time. I feel that I have captured the essence of the design, although if any of you have any recommendations, please feel free to note them. I should note that the presented 3D model is not precisely as it is intended to be assembled. The lower straps should feed through the looped end (that is simulated as though fed through the seat). I've positioned it to approximate the positioning as I did not want to model it deformed.

I am mostly in the dark as to how the parachute itself extends out of the bag; I've modeled twin straps leading from the shoulders to underside of the bag (held in place with tear-away tabs) in what I think is the design, but I would appreciate any advice on this.

RAF-016.jpg

RAF-017.jpg

RAF-018.jpg

RAF-019.jpg

Onto (I hope) easier elements.

Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I've started to put together the prototype build, and you can see progress pictures below. I've built all the pieces at 1:35 (1:33 for cockpit builds is an easy scale from here). What you see below are the officer's cap, some progress shots and final shots of the seat-type parachute and the body part of the combat jacket (the arms are the figure's arms, so are not attached until final posing). All have been touched up with paint at the edges, although some do require a few more touches. It is hard to see in the shots, but the 'seat' part of the parachute is not glued or attached to any of the straps. The center strap is merely threaded through the center of the seat.

I hope to put at least one figure together today, although after that I may start on the Ingwald Spitfire, as I want to see how the parachute-seat fits into the 1:33 seat. I plan to build at least two standing figures for demonstration, and then likely a final 'sitting' once once I have the Spitfire built.

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

Enjoy!
Sean

Z

Zathros

Tirick, I see your work is awesome as usual, and the fact that I see it is incredible, as there is an upload problem here. Maybe you could post how you are doing it, which browser you are using etc. It would be a great help. Thanks!!

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
So a bit of a delay as I built up a cockpit and canopy to test fit the figure into, but here are some fitted shots. I've finished the design of Mae West life vest, shown below, and the seat-type parachute fits nicely in the cockpit/seat I used (Andrew Ingwald's Bader Spitfire, available for free on the papermodelers site). I had a bit of squishing to do on the parachute, and I may fit the seat in a little lower, but most of that I suspect is paper thickness stack-up and my own build errors (on the pilot and the cockpit). I would however recommend building 1:35 pilots for a 1:33 scale plane. I scaled this one up to 1:33 and the difference in size is probably enough for a clean-fit compared to a tight fit.

Obviously I have a lot of touchups on the figure (as well as the helmet/arms/legs) to complete it, but I am certainly satisfied enough that the figure is suitable for use in a cockpit.

The canopy is a little foggy, so it is hard to see in some shots. The former worked really well, but I sealed the putty with white glue and I think it discoloured the clear styrene. I'll make a new one for the final build, but for fit up is works well enough I think.

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Enjoy!
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
The RAF Pilot is now released, and in the store section of my site: TCF Gaming – Portal

At the advice of a random stranger (thank you G+) I added a small element; Officer braiding options to the peaked hat:

RAF-030.jpg

RAF-031.jpg

I have abandoned the idea of adding different zoned coloring. The tropical uniform includes short sleeve shirts and shorts, neither of which I'm prepared to add at this time.

The set does include both the service coat and the war service coat, as well as the Irvine jacket, Mae West life vest and the seat-type parachute, most of which has been demonstrated in posts above. There are full detailed instructions included with the two scales 1:50 and 1:35.

Thank you all for following!
Tirick