WS Scenic Cement

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I've been using Woodland Scenics' "Scenic Cement" that you can spray on. I'm almost out, and thinking I could probably do the same thing with just white glue and water (as that seems to be the predominant ingredients). Anybody experiment with this and has suggestions as to ratios ????

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Woodland Scenics "Scenic Cement" is based on acrylic matte medium which dries flat rather than gloss, which is what white glue dries to.
I have mixed matte medium with water to a 40-60 mixture with a drop of wetting agent and that has given me a mix almost identical to scenic cement.
That being said, I find that white glue mixed 50-50 with water works every bit as well as scenic cement or matte medium for most scenery application as most scenery is not affected, appearance wise when it dries.
Also, white glue is much less expensive, as I get it from the local building supply store by the gallon.
If you wish to use matte medium, you can get it from any artists supply store.
Happy modeling and Cheers!

Terry

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Mike,

I use wood glue. Just straight. Paint it on with a 1" brush, then sprinkle. Sprinkle some more, then sprinkle some more. I put my groundcover on pretty think, and in layers, and different shades etc. I then get a bottle of 50/50 (glue/water) mix with a nozzle, and "drip" this all over it. It looks like a white snowstorm hit the joint, but it dries fabulously, and no shine (cause of the thickness of the groundcover I use). I also need to use that much glue to soak through the layers of groundcover. Any less than what I explained, and the ground cover just brushes off when it dries.

Picnic.JPG

ChurchKidsPlay.JPG

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Jon,

In the top pic, it's a black '57 Ford Customline, a maroon '62 FB Holden, and a '71 HQ Holden.

Holdens are Australian cars.

Actually, the new Pontiac GTO is a Holden. The latest model Monaro (as it is called here).

Designed and built here, and exported to the US as the Pontiac GTO.
m436674.jpg