Wright Cyclone R-1820-97 Radial Engine

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Gil, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Pushrods

Update:

After a brief interval for better fitting "clamp" fittings the pushrods are finally in place. The ignition wiring is now in the middle of development. Prop Governor and Oil Sump are finished waiting final assembly.

Gil

[​IMG]
  2. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Wow. That is very impressive as always Gil. Without knowing, I would never guess it was made of paper.
  3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Oh, it's looking so very good!

Gil, I hope I'm not out of order asking you for a template for the oil sump and prop governor part as soon as you got'em ready. Would save me redesigning those parts for the "Ruski Cyklonski".

Best, Leif
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif,

I'll send them this afternoon.

Best regards, Gil
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

sorry about jumping in a little late, but I just noticed your pushrods and that you were concerned that they were a little thick, have you considered, pencil lead from a mechanical pencil? they come in .9mm, .7mm, .5mm and if you look around you can probably even find .3mm.
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

It wasn't the pushrods but the rubber hose and clamp interconnects that were made out of wire insulation that were to big in diameter. The pushrods are constructed out of 24 AWG which is scale. The interconnects are printed on 0.003 mil vellum and wrapped around a 24 AWG mandrel prior to cutting into sections for mounting on the individual pushrods. They satisfied "the look"...,

Best regards, Gil
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ignition Distribution Ring

Hello All,

After a slight detour into rolling small diameter tubes the Wright Cyclone project is back on track. The image below is the first attempt at the ignition distribution ring. It's not quite right yet but has enough of the disired "look" to continue on with this process. It's made entirely of small diameter vellum tubes to be covered in the soon to be released article on the subject (Ron is in the process of editing the piece before posting).

Gil

[​IMG]
  8. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Beautiful work on the ignition ring. One can see where the ignition wires proper are going to be added. - L.
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ignition Distribution Ring II

Update:

Neat thing about closeup digital images is that they are a study in "what's wrong with this picture?". The distribution ring radius was a little on the large scale side but I figured it wouldn't be that noticeable..., it was very noticeable so another nearer to scale was done. A small diameter tube was rolled finishing with a 24 AWG mandrel which was also used in forming the circular ring shape. A difference in construction was made to the tangent leadout tubes which had been glued into drilled holes in the main ring were instead T-glued to the ring with CA gel. The entire structure was given a coat of thinned PVA. The paint finish consists of a coat of primer followed by a coat of aluminum acrylic.

In the image below the reddish tube in the bottom of the distribution ring is a scrap piece of wire inserted to the two tube ends to aid in dry fitting the assembly for the photograph.

Now on to the spark plug wires and final assembly of the prop regulator and the oil sump...,

Gil

[​IMG]
  10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

This is really looking better for each time. I'm doing the "Cyklonski" or the Polikarpov, which means a slightly different orientation of both ignition harness (which I haven't got to yet), including ignition wires to the plugs, and other details, such as prop governor (pointing at two o'clock seen from the front). Will await your demonstration of how it's supposed to be done first.

Have you given any thought to induction & exhaust tubes? I can't decide on what material to use (at present I'm even stealing furtive glances at different sizes of spaghetti...).

Best, Leif
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif,

I've thought about using formed tubes for exhaust piping although it wasn't intended for this incarnation it could easily be added. The ability to "form" the tubing makes it an attractive candidate ( The tutorial is currently being reviewed (I hope) by Ron and should be up in the next few days if all goes well).

One of the nice characteristics of the tube forming method is it uses adhesives and finishing techniques familiar to card modeling. Building a network of exhaust piping, though still challenging, shouldn't be that difficult. I think it's a better method than using mulitple joined straight sections in an "El Kinko" solution (it's also great for motorcycle and bicycle frames).

Best regards, Gil