Wright Cyclone R-1820-97 Radial Engine

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Gil, Sep 8, 2004.

1. jasco

jasco Member

HEY!!!! HOWDJOUDODAT? Paper Mache?
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif, Jasco,

I'm working on a short tutorial...,

Gil
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Some Progress:

[​IMG]

Gil
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

I'm waiting for a reply from Ron regarding a tutorial on how to make reverse petal hemispheres and other similar structures. Best guess is a day or two for Ron to reveiew and then post in the article bin...,

Gil
  5. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Gil, the reverse petal method does work quite nicely doesn't it. As I will be retiring shortly I'll have some time to get back into doing some modeling. Unfortunately I was going through a lot of medical problems with my wife and that left almost no time for personal pursuits. There come times when we have to put our personal wants and desires aside and do what is best for our families and spouses. Look forward to seeing the tutorial and I wonder if you have looked at any of the faceted reverse petals
  6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Mark, good to hear from you again. Like you, I'm eagerly awaiting this tutorial. - Leif
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Mark,

Glad your back! Ron must be unavailable as he hasn't replied to my email yet..., I'll try Rick.

Gil
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

The file has been uploaded to Rick who will review and post it. Now to get back to the Alpha Build. Funny thing though is the hemisphere will be used for the future Pratt & Whitney design. The Wright Cyclone uses a cylinder and a frustrum for the gear case..., along the way discovered the Federal Standard number for the grey paint used on most of the U.S. manufactured engines of the Second World War, FS36076 (87R, 91G, 98B). The texture map on the top cooling fin structures needs to be updated to the same as used on the cylinder barrel which also needs work. Seems like a downward spiral but actually it's very near to completion...,

Gil
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

R-1820-97 Gear Case Alpha Build - Frustrum Case

Update:

The following is the scale gear case for the Wright Cyclone. It uses a radial arc band with tabbed cylinder design. A banding ring is used to hold the bottom tabs in place during the gluing process.

Gil

P.S. The part shown has not been painted nor sealed.

[​IMG]
  10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Gil, you keep teasing us - amazing. - Leif
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Update

Some Progress:

The following was built directly off the printout to insure that everything fits as advertised. The gear case was built using the "ring clamp" method. The crankcase, spider alignment assembly and gearcase are complete.

Cylinders, head cooling fins, rocker boxes, pushrods and ignition are awaiting...,

Gil

"T" Pin for centering cylinder alignment spider assembly for glueing.

[​IMG]

Alignment spider assembly and dry fit cylinder forms

[​IMG]

Mixing Prussian Blue, Black and White Glue to match external color

[​IMG]

Gear case assembly with clamping ring.

[​IMG]

Assembled gear case, front cover and crankcase assembly (cylinder alignment spider is being glued inside the crankcase cover. Cylinder forms maintain alignment while glue dries).

[​IMG]

Completed crankcase assembly.

[​IMG]

Completed crank and gear case.

[​IMG]
  12. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Brilliant - inspiring! - L.
  13. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Well Done Gil

Waiting intently for the finished product.
  14. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Gil,
    Everything is looking excellent! I am on the edge of my seat to see the finished product.
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Update:

Building the cylinder heads currently. This will take a day or two as the parts are small and take time to shape and mount properly including a percentage that just didn't make the grade. So far the parts fit has been satisfactory although several parts need to be adjusted. The rocker covers were redesigned and are now much easier to assemble compared to the original design. It also occured to me that most of the engines used a baffle between cylinders to direct air around the cylinders such that only the front half of the cylinder barrel is visible. This could lead to a part and build time reduction while maintaining the look of the scale engine. Just a thought ..., or maybe I've been working on this thing too long...,

Gil
  16. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

A little extra reference material

LAst weekend, I managed to get over to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum, in Addison TX, about 20 miles from my house. I knew they had several engines on display, along with their collection of mostly airworth warbirds. Imagine my surprise, when the first exhibit inside the door was an R-1820.

I uploaded the photos this weekend, and here's the page on engines, with the Cyclone pix right up front.

[​IMG]

Down at the bottom of the page, you can see several radial engines inside aircraft cowlings, including an 1820 in an FM-2 Wildcat.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the Grumman US-2A had engine covers on, so I didn't get pictures of the last active duty Cyclone installation.

[​IMG]
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Atomsk,

Good shots! I've duly downloaded all the 1820 and 1830 shots. You were able to bring out the right kind of detail.

Much Thanks, Gil
  18. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Gil:

No prob. That's what I was going for.
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Alpha Build Update

Hello All,

Accomplished a little more work on the Wright Cyclone (workmanship is secondary to correctness of fit so you'll get to see a seam or two..., and some of textures also need work).

Best regards, Gil

The cylinder barrels, cooling head ring and bottom top cooling ring dry fitted.

[​IMG]

The top cooling fins are applied down the center line of the head before the ends are glued to the side of the head.

[​IMG]

Assembled engine minus pushrods, constant speed regulator, oil sump and ignition wiring (also a misted coat of thin black/brown and a matte acrylic sealer).

[​IMG]

B-17G Aluminum Foil Paper Cowl Test Fit.

[​IMG]

Front shot.

[​IMG]
  20. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Pushrod tubes?

You said all it needs now is ignition wiring, but there's something else missing. Or did you mean that's all you still need to design?